Chapter 12

I was, of course, properly briefed in the car. Apparently Cynthia was invited to some sort of magical dance. I was using Cynthia's invitation, since Cynthia had been known to change her appearance. This required me to read the profile on Cynthia that Jenny had put together...and wow. I was amazed, and surprised. How would Jenny know all of THAT? I knew Jenny had worked with Cynthia before, long enough to know her true name, unlike Jonathan, "the love of her life", who did not.

Name: Cynthia Harrison

Date of Birth: 1563

Race: Dark Witch.

Occupation: Previously part of the Dark Coven and the Dark Masters. Worked for various seers. Known affiliations with Him.

The list went on and on and on...

Then there was a letter from Jenny. It was mostly a warning.

"You're rumored to be working with Sir. Kent. Deny all claims, it's probably a test. Even if you were, you don't reveal cliental. Cynthia is secretive, be vague, mysterious, and laugh. A lot. Remember, you can't get drunk, but she CAN. Cynthia is infamous and will most likely be a target for various schemes. These will hopefully just be to ruin her reputation, for, according to Cynthia, no one here can stand against her. You're the only known Dark Witch left. Channel Cynthia. I'm sure you'll do fine."

I closed the folder and handed it to the driver. I looked at myself quickly before exiting. I was wearing a tight red dress, platform shoes, and long diamond earrings. In all honesty, Cynthia could probably describe the outfit better than I could, there was no socializing and clothes hadn't mattered in the past year...and really everything before that was a blur.

The outfit made me look like a twenty one year old "slut". I brushed my black hair out of my face, it was straightened and had a little poof on the top. My eyes looked hazel and my legs looked great. Normally, if I had been normal, I'd be squealing at how "hot" I looked. Even though I looked like a "slut". Now...it was just a job. My body was a weapon. Not a piece of art.

That's just how traumatized I was. I couldn't feel it physically, and my emotions were somewhere...deep. But I knew it, oh God, I knew it.

***

Almost as soon as I entered the building I saw an old woman walking towards me. She was wearing some sort of little coat with glitter on it, and a purple long vest that exposed nothing. Her eyes glittered purple and her hair was white and curled. She looked like a grandma going to a low scale wedding, where as I looked like I was going to a club.

" Cynthia!" The voice was sort of friendly, but the amount of raw magic in her voice brought out the wolf in Julie.

I simply looked at her and laughed. I was supposed to laugh.

" A brunette? And here I was absolutely sure that you'd be blonde!" The old woman laughed, a crackling sound that made me think of nails on a chalkboard. Not because it sounded like it, but because they both made you want to flinch.

What would Cynthia do? She always laughed at the worst times, I knew that much.

" What's the fun in that?" I asked back laughingly, my nervous split in me. My heart pounded. What if she realized?

Calm down, I told myself. If you look nervous, it's over.

The laughing of the old woman continued loudly, then began to morph. Suddenly in was a tinkling giggle. Her body changed too. She was young, maybe my age, and had light blonde hair curled into large waves and light blue eyes. Her purple dress shifted and became a cocktail dress showing a very large amount of cleavage. We, together, looked like we were about to go clubbing.

" Shall we stir the pot Cynthia?" The now young and beautiful woman asked, extending an arm.

" Of course!" I replied, hooking my arm in hers, " What do you think I came here?"

A sudden buzz ran through my mind and over my body. Lucas.

" Cynthia?" The woman asked me, turning her head toward me.

" Yes?" I answered, vague and mysterious. Vague and mysterious.

" What was that?" She smiled a little. As if there was an inside joke.

" What was what?" I answered, looking at her as if she was crazy.

The woman narrowed her eyes at me and my heart pounded, " The shaking?"

" What shaking?" My nervousness made me say it too fast, and it came out jumbled. I was confused for a second, then I realized though this situation was making me nervous, it was mostly Lucas I was worried about.

" What?" The woman asked, clearly not understanding me.

" What?" I asked back, knowing one of Cynthia's "tricks" to avoid a conversation.

" What?" The woman asked back, confusion crossed her face.

" What? You're not making any sense," I shook my head in pretend confusion and pulled her onwards, I stole a glance backwards though.

Lucas.

-----------------------

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG WAIT. >.< Writers block. But it's all better now. :) Oh, oh, by the way, Beta, this story DOES have a companion book. Alpha. It's another one of my stories. :)