Chapter 1: The fall of Tauriel

-

'Send for Legolas. Have him see me immediately.' Thranduil said to his servant and close friend, Ereil.

'As you wish.'

Legolas appeared by his father's side, just three minutes prior.

'You sent for me, Ada?' he said, somewhat worried about the cause for this unexpected meeting. Ereil had not taken his hand off of the prince's shoulder and Legolas expected nothing good.

A look of sympathy flooded Thranduil's face. 'Legolas,' He said. 'I have rather unfortunate news about Tauriel.'

Legolas's heart dropped into his stomach. 'T-Tell me, Ada. What has happened?' He asked, kneeling to the side of his father.

'Tauriel has died. She was stabbed from the behind by an enraged orc.'

Legolas recoiled in disgust; the images that entered his brain, of his best friend slowly dying proved to be too much for him. A loud sob left his mouth and his cold hands immediately slapped against his face to hide his pain from his father.

Thranduil's eyes widened in shock. Never before, had he seen that look on the face of his son; not even with the death of his loving mother. His mind wandered to Legolas and Tauriel's relationship and what she must have meant to him.

'I understand, lon-nin (my son). I, too, lost the woman whom I loved-'

'Á pusta (Stop)!' Legolas screamed, rising to his feet. His face was red with anger and from crying. 'Father, I have not fallen in love with Tauriel! We have never felt things for eachother; and she married the dwarf!' He paused for a moment, studying the angry look on his father's face. 'Do not assume things of me, Ada. And do not assume things of Tauriel.'

Legolas pushed past Ereil and ran up to his study. He threw some clothes into an empty sack, restocked on arrows, and retrieved his most valued bow from its rack. (He already was carrying his sword on his belt.) Ereil had followed him to his quarters and stood in the doorway, frowning.

'Where will you go?' The servant asked in a whisper, attempting to read Legolas's face.

'I do not know.' Replied Greenleaf, adjusting his belt.

'Very well, then.' Sighed Ereil, looking at the ground. (Legolas had been avoiding eye-contact.) 'I know that Thranduil will not make an effort to stop you.' He muttered to himself.

After a moment's silence, Legolas approached Ereil; who quickly moved aside.

'Legolas, mára mesta (have a good journey).'

Ereil quickly got to work, making a personal list of people to contact on behalf of Legolas on his journey. It was peculiar that Ereil was doing this instead of Thranduil, but he was fairly close to the prince himself and found it to be no burden.
At last, the servant sent a note to Rivendell in an eagle's beak. He no longer felt troubled; Legolas would be in good hands.
-
Nine days had passed since his quiet disappearance from Mirkwood; and Legolas could not help himself, he could not stop images of Tauriel's accident from flooding into his mind.
Legolas no longer cried, just sat almost emotionlessly with a slight grimace on his pale face and a deep sadness in his vibrant blue eyes as he thought of his long-time companion.

Legolas's pointed ears perked as the distant sound of footsteps and a horse travelled towards him. The elf was quick to adopt a serious facial expression (including his signature narrowed eyes) and drew his bow; secretly uneasy by himself in the woods.

 The elf was quick to adopt a serious facial expression (including his signature narrowed eyes) and drew his bow; secretly uneasy by himself in the woods

A messy-haired unshaven man with a black horse emerged from the trees. (He had been intent on keeping Legolas's arrows over his shoulders and tried not to startle the elf.)
'Who are you?' Legolas spat, taken aback by the appearance of this man. This new person did not respond with words, but a laugh, as he raised his hands somewhat mockingly.
'I said, who are you?'
'Easy, Legolas. I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn.'
Legolas tried without ease, not to be starstruck by the famed warrior before him.
He almost choked on his words as he asked Aragorn about his knowledge of Legolas.
Aragorn bit his bottom lip. 'You aren't so wise if you think I'll tell you as you prepare to fire an arrow at me.'
Legolas hesitated. He seemed to give it a good thought and reluctantly lowered his weapon.
'Have a seat,' Aragorn said, signalling to a pair of rocks conveniently placed together by Mother Nature.
The two sat together, on twin rocks- like it was meant to be.
'A good friend of mine sent for me. He wanted reassurance that you'd be safe.'
Legolas furrowed his eyebrows, staring at the dirt floor beneath him; and gaining Aragorn's full attention.
'Legolas, it wasn't that he didn't know about your great feats in battle. There have been a few tales that have met my ears-'
The elf's head raised. 'No, that's not it.' He said quietly.
Legolas blindly thought that his father had arranged for Aragorn and a small flicker of hope for their relationship lit in his heart.
Aragorn saw that the elf was inattentive and got up to walk his horse over to the white mare brought by Legolas. His companion was lost in his mind for around twenty minutes, giving him time to start a fire with wood unused by the Elf.
'Good, good.' Legolas jumped up and walked toward the warmth, a thin grin now on his face.
Aragorn was glad to see him smile, for he knew the Elf's situation.