How to write LGBTQ characters

Don't make being gay a gimmick

We all know that producers want diversity in scripts, and that's fantastic. But crow-barring a 'gay best friend' or 'camp teacher' into your script just to score points isn't going to cut it. Stereotypes have been done to death. Make your characters three-dimensional people who just happen to be gay too.

 Don't just make it about 'LGBT Issues'

When you are writing LGBT characters it is very easy to focus in on the dramatic – the 'coming out story' or the 'Transition story'. And while these can have real value, there are lots of LGBT people in the world living normal lives and going on adventures which have nothing to do with who they sleep with or which gender they identify as!

LGBT in ALL genres

LGBT people have been around since the dawn of humanity. Even if you are writing a period drama, could you include an LGBT character? There are so many fantastic stories to be told of life before decriminalization, or life as a trans person before transgender was recognized.

Trans* is an umbrella term

If you want to include trans* characters in your writing, remember it's not always a case of 'Male becomes female' or 'female becomes male'. Trans* encompasses a whole spectrum of people, from those who feel they don't fit into any given gender, to those who feel that they are a beautiful amalgam of both, to people who fit anywhere in between. Considering Trans* characters in your writing opens up many more opportunities for fresh, interesting stories to be told.

Do your research

If you do decide you want to focus in on a storyline specific to the LGBT community and are not already a member of this community – do your research! If you want to write about prohibition: talk to people who were around before homosexuality was legalized. If you want to write about transitioning: go and talk to Trans* people. Make your language, experiences and stories resonate with a wide audience.