~ The Big Day ~

I awoke to the sounds of my mother shouting from downstairs, attempting to wake me. "(Y/N) you're late! Get up!" I heard her call. I scrambled to my feet, gasping as I realized I was 5 minutes late to the Professor's lab. Today was the day I would get my starter Pokemon, and I was already messing it up. With a worried expression, I hurriedly threw on my clothes and rushed out of the house without saying a word to my family. I hurried down the road, stumbling over my own feet as I rounded a tight corner. Professor Sycamore's lab was in view, and I smiled with hope that there would still be a Pokemon left. But, all my hope soon fled my mind as I watched three others exit with Pokeballs in hand. I skidded to a halt and sighed in defeat, knowing that I was too late to receive my starter. With a groan I entered despite my late presence and looked to the Professor optimistically.

"Oh (Y/N), welcome. I'm sorry to say that three other trainers already took the available starters." Professor Sycamore sent me an apologetic gaze.

I sighed in disappointment and looked at the ground, small tears welling in my eyes. I wiped them away and returned my eyes to the Professor. "Professor? Is there anything I can have so I can still start my journey? I know that I can't get a starter but maybe I could get some Pokeballs or something?" I asked, hopeful that I could still manage to begin my journey around the Kalos region. It would be difficult without a Pokemon, but I might manage to catch one.

"Of course. I'll go see what I can give you." He smiled before heading off down a hallway, disappearing from view. The professor then returned after a few short minutes, and handed me a small bag of Pokeballs, and a Pokedex.

"Oh thank you Professor!" I giggled happily, carefully taking the Pokedex and Pokeballs from his hands. With a grateful nod, I set off and exited the building. After placing the red and white Pokeballs on my belt, I slipped the Pokedex into my pocket with a grin. I desperately thought of what I might catch first, which I internally declared would be considered my starter. With a content smile I said goodbye to Lumiose City, and officially left for my journey.