Nothing, Everything

Exiles from the country they called home wasn't the easiest title to bear. Especially when they were trying to get married in a foreign country, while simultaneously hiding from people from their home country. They couldn't run back to the states to get a marriage certificate from the state of New York, much to Steve's dismay.

When the time came for them to be admonished from their crimes, and accepted back into the US without any targets on their backs, then they'd get married legally. Natasha had promised Steve that much.

Thus, the wedding was very small, and very rushed. Sam was able to acquire a priest willing to preform a ceremony in their particular circumstances, and at such short notice. Which was impressive seeing as Sam didn't speak French.

The wedding took place in an old church somewhere in France, at a time of day where light from the newly risen sun came shining through the stain glass windows, illuminating the dark church with a vast array of colors. It was beautiful, to say the very least. Steve wore what he could find, a button up shirt, slacks, and a tie. Natasha looked slightly more the part, sporting a simple dress fashioned from an old parachute. Though it did not look like it was made by a Sokovian in under 6 hours. Natasha wore it well.

Steve had surprised Natasha by finding a Russian Orthodox priest, so that the wedding would be one from her culture. The ceremony began with the reciting of blessings and some scripture passages. Then the blessing of the rings. The priest exchanged the rings between the two of them three times, to signify that the weakness of one will be compensated by the other. Then two candles were lit, and the priest joined their two hands.

Steve had memorized and then recited a scripture verses from the Song of Solomon in Russian to Natasha, and she recited a love poem to him in French. Then they were crowned with Garland wreaths for crowns, the two wreaths remaining attached by a string. Then they took three sips from the same cup, reminding them that they will share everything. Then the priest lead them to walk around the alter three times. The first steps of this walk were the first of their married life together. There was the final parting blessing on each of them, then the priest exclaimed; "Na zisete!" ending the ceremony.

Wanda and Sam were the wedding party and witnesses. Even though Sam dined himself best man, he barely understood a word that was spoken during the ceremony. Though he swears by his life that it did take place, and that it was valid. Wanda was just smiling through it all, so glad that two people she cared about deeply were finally tying the knot. Though the wedding brought to her thoughts of someone else that she cared deeply for and sorely missed. 

A few hours before the wedding had taken place, Natasha found Steve sitting on a crate, staring at nothing.

She could see the exhaustion in the bags under his eyes. They had been running for far too long. It had taken a tole on all of them. Steve was just better at not letting it show. Though Natasha could always pick up on it. He hadn't given her much besides a tired look every now and then, behind the view of the rest of the team. Steve didn't let it get to him, not fully, until right now.

He opened his eyes, and they were full of compassion and love, yet they were so tied. His eyes were moist, and he seemed to be holding back tears. Natasha's heart skipped a beat. There was fear in his eyes too. He looked like a broken little man in that moment. She could see what he felt, and what he feared. Just as they shared similar tactical minds, and could read each other's movements, they could also read each other's emotions.

He had always needed her, if just as a partner and a friend. She could tell he had been needing a woman's touch and tender care. He had needed to be taken care of just as he took care of everyone else. She was honored take on this new role. Taking care of Steve Rogers, not the worst thing to put on ones resume, she thought. Although she had always taken care of him, it would now be in a different capacity.

"Hey. We're going to be alright, Steve. We're gonna be fine."

He shook his head. "I'm just afraid Nat. I don't know how long we can keep doing this. Not before we slip up. It's bound to happen. We keep running, and getting lucky... but- but, we're only human."

"Some of us are super human. Remember?"

"Exactly. Those of us who aren't enhanced stand an even greater chance at taking a hit that can't be shaken. Even though we're who we are, we're not invincible. And... you and Sam..."

"Can take pretty good care of ourselves. We have been able to, even before you came along."

Steve shook his tired head, and smiled knowingly. He knew she was right, but he also knew that only he and Wanda had different powers that gave them an extra level of protection.

"Hey, we all know what we signed up for. We're all still here because we believe in what we're doing."

He sighed. He had so much fear that he'd lose a member of his team. Most of all, he feared losing her.

"Steve. Look at me."

    Steve looked up at her, she stood right next to him. Eyes peering into each others souls, the mutual message was sent and received. They would continue to go on, and if they were to go down, they'd do that together. They were so close, almost of the same mind, and only now were they both beginning to recognize this fact. It must have been quite clear to anyone else just watching them together. They would face what was to come, and go on this new journey more unified then ever.

He took her hand, with a new sense of determination filling his eyes.

"Rogers-"

He raised an eye brown.

"Steve."

"Yes?"

"These are dangerous waters you're treading."

He chuckled. "What ever do you mean?"

"Getting involved with me... you know you don't know everything..."

"Natasha, I've been 'involved' with you for the past six years. And I know I don't know everything. I don't have to." He shrugged his shoulders. "I know you."

"Steve-"

He placed a finger over her lips. "If you're looking for someone who'll question your past, and look at you differently because of what you've done, you might be in the wrong business, Romanoff."

She shook her head, hiding a smile.

"And I would like to know everything. Someday. When you're ready to tell me."

She was thankful to him for that. He didn't ever push her to divulge anything she wasn't ready to. Sometimes she wished he would. Then he'd know everything. But his patients and understanding were stronger than her control over him, and she admired him greatly for that.

"Thanks." She whispered. "I really mean it."

"Besides, it's too late to turn back now." He joked, then looked at her with seriousness. "I've given you my word. Natalia Alianovna Romanoff, I am not going anywhere." He kissed her hand, and smiled at her with his eyes.

She sighed. "You gotta stop doing that, Rogers."

"What?" He asked, genuinely curious, but still holding her gaze with his attentive blue eyes.

She bit her lower lip and shook her head. "Nothing... It's just, you." She placed a hand on his cheek. He smiled at her, with his tired smile.

"Now's not the time to fall short of honesty, Romanoff. What we're about to do... you're gonna need some of it." He said semi-humorously.

"Steve, you know me. If there's anything I'm not, it's honest."

"I know. That's why I plan to make an honest woman out of you."

"So sure of yourself, aren't you?" She smiled playing along.

"Yup." He stood, kissed her on the cheek and left to go find Sam about a priest.