16

sixteen

Flynn and I had finally arrived. Well, sort of, Flynn explained to me that we were just at the border because he couldn't just bring me in, the werewolves would have noticed a new and unidentified person as soon as I stepped onto their territory land.

That would mean instant trouble.

My legs shook as I sensed the change in the air, power bouncing off the trees in waves, engulfing me as the forest seemed to shrink until it felt as though I was locked away in a room.

Again.

Flynn could tell how I was feeling and even though he was upset with me, he swiftly moved the bag to hold itself on his back and his warm hand wrapped around mine.

"It's okay," Flynn reassured me in a soft tone, full of pity.

Pity, for how uncomfortable I am? I was so used to being raised in a place, with my parents, where werewolves were seen as dangerous, terrible creatures, and now look at me, at the border of a real pack.

I pushed myself up against Flynn's side, trying to appear smaller than I already was.

"I'm scared," I whispered. My hands shook as they wrapped themselves around my frail body, holding onto myself in a way that I hoped would help to comfort the fear inside.

The fear Mama put there.

"I know," his voice was soft with a slight edge to it, rough like a growl, he only recently started sounding like that.

"I'm sorry that I made you angry," I apologized, "I didn't know that it would upset you."

"It's okay," he spoke, "I understand."

The breaking of branches tore me away, my eyes darting over to where the sound came from and my whole body shook when I saw a man come out from the thick trees. He carried himself confidently, striding over to us with a smirk playing on his lips and soon enough he was standing in front of us, clapping his big hands together, the sound echoing.

"Flynn!" His voice boomed and his eyes the colour of chocolate, rich and dark went from Flynn to me, giving me a once over, "And who is this?"

His voice sent shivers down my spine, "This is Amoret," Flynn introduced me, moving so that I would be standing slightly ahead of him.

The stranger's hand shot out towards me, holding it out as he looked down at me expectantly. I let out a shaky breath as I placed my hand on his palm, and he gently lifted my small, bony hand up to his lips.

"James, Beta James," he spoke as he gave my hand a quick kiss, a peck.

As soon as he let go I pulled my hand back to my chest, holding it there as I swallowed the lump that had begun to form in the middle of my throat.

"Beta James, I would like to see Amoret to the room she'll be staying in and then I'll be meeting with Luna Rose," Flynn spoke up from behind me, very politely and full of respect.

"Of course, Flynn," Beta James smiled, showing off his perfect, white and straight, teeth.

Perfect teeth for a werewolf.