Dr. Jonathan Crane

She opened her eyes to the sharp ceiling light. She was sitting on a chair. The room was concrete on all sides and was unpainted, just plain, concrete grey. She's been here, only she was on the other side of the looking glass. She remembered that she visited Arkham Asylum for research on a paper she was doing for Mr Crane's class. That's when it all came to her. Crane killed her James. She didn't know what happened to James but he looked like he was mortified. But there was nothing. As if he were seeing things, like he was crazy.

The door opened and Crane walked into the room holding a file. "Ms Quinzel. You've been declared criminally insane for the murder of James Wright." Harley remained silent as Crane paced around her slowly. "Tell me, girl. What do you remember?" The room was silent with the exception of Crane's footsteps. "Okay... the subject is not speaking. What if I call you Harley?" It sounded more like a demand than that of a question. "I bet you don't remember a thing. Let me jog your memo-"

"You... Killed him... You killed him! You killed him you bastard!!!" shouted Harley over and over again.

"Your attempts are futile. I know you're trying to get whoever is watching to listen. This room isn't being watched, nor is it being recorded. It's only me. You did your research on this place. Did you miss out who's in control other than Arkham himself? Me, Harley. Me. And that Arkham is way too busy doing God knows what. So technically, I hold power here." Crane stopped infront of harley and bent over, his face right infront of hers. He grabbed her face sternly to make her look at him. "I'll rewrite that memory of yours. You killed James. You got into a jealous fit, and you killed him. You're crazy. You're lovesick. And upon realising what you had done you passed out on the scene of the crime. Well, that's what everyone knows."

"You lying piece of-"

"You stranggled him and then stabbed him. Do you want to see a picture, Harley?" Crane showed her a photograph of James' dead body. Harley started to cry and could hardly beathe at all. "Look at it. Cmon." said Crane. "Stop crying. Your tears will blur your vision." He wiped off her tears. "Hey, I said stop crying! Look at the picture!" Crane grew angry and knocked her on the ground. She had never seen this aggressive before. In lectures he had always been monotone. Everyone was scared of him but he never showed anger of any sort. She tried sucking up to him a few times but he never seemed to be affected by anything. There was one time, he did get angry at this goofball of a student. But it was only a bit. There was always something eerily calm about him, but Harley never admitted that.

Crane's tall and lean figure loomed above her and he dragged her by the hair. "You're one of my brightest students. Actually I think possibly the brightest. Such a shame you had to get caught into this."

"Wh... why." Harley gave out a little whimper.

"What was that?... Say it again."

"Why... Why him?" asked Harley.

"You see, I'm working on this little project. Hah well, little is an understatement." One of his eyebrows raised. "Your dear boyfriend was my test subject. I never meant for him to die, but I guess the dosage was a little bit strong. Hey did you know he was cheating on you?" he smiled.

Harley's eyebrows furrowed and tears were forming. One of her worst fears added to the mix of the insanity that had just taken place in her life.

"I lied. Well now I know what you're afraid of." He smiled once again. "That kid was devoted to you with everything he's got. In fact, told him that the toxin was your project and he aggreed to 'participate'. You know when I came over unannounced, he was suspicious. I said we agreed to do a meeting at your place. He seriously thought you were 'fucking me.' Yes, he used those words. I think he was just about ready to beat me up." Crane let go of her hair and left her on the ground. He picked up the chair and dragged it so that he was sitting in front of her, looking down at her. He enjoyed this moment of her fear and weakness.

"Sir, that still doesn't explain why you chose-"

"I was just getting to that. I actually planned on testing it out on you. Since you were the clever little one, you could always describe its effects in a more... well, technical way, appropriate to the study of psychology. He just screamed and whimpered. Business majors. I thought that your boyfriend would do. He actually let me stick a needle in him with questionable liquids if it were for your sake. Plus, I knew you were the type to get higher grades in any way you could. I planned to promise you extra credit upon participation. I guess that is no longer necessary."

It felt like a lecture that left Harley's brain in a severe headache. Every word coming out of his mouth felt like a whip at her chest.

"Now, let's do this again." Crane grabbed a hold of her head. "You killed your boyfriend out of jealousy, and now you've gone crazy."