35|Troublemakers

September 26, 2018
New York City, New York

   When I got home last night, Connor was working in his office. Rather than questioning him about Saturday night, I took it upon myself to just sleep on it.

"Harper, where were you last night?" Olivia asks as we eat breakfast at the table.

"I had a school assignment that I needed to complete with the help of someone in the city," I explain.

"Daddy said you texted him, but he was still really worried about you," she frowns.

A smile forms on my face, he was worried about me?

"Well no worries, I was just fine," I assure her.

"But come on, Juliette will be here soon and we don't want to be late for school," I add before putting my cereal bowl in the sink.

Juliette picks us up as she usually does. I spend my classes working on my news article about "Bonjour Amour". It's technically not due until tomorrow, but I would rather just finish it right now and not have to worry about the hassle.

After arriving at home with Olivia from our schools , we are both surprised to see that Connor is home early.

"I have a business dinner tonight at 6," he says as the two of us walk into the kitchen.

"A fancy one? Because I don't have a dress," I grit my teeth together.

   "I know, which is why I got you this," he leaves the room and comes back with a stunning red dress.

   "Connor it's beautiful," I gasp while running my hands over the luxury fabric.

   "It's an original, one of a kind piece. I want you to have it," he puts the red dress in my hands.

   "Connor, thank you so much," I hug him tightly.

   "Oh my God, why do you guys always do this," Olivia groans and I pull her into the hug.

   "Cooties!" She shouts as she tries to wiggle out of our embrace.

   We laugh before letting her go.

   "So you had to interview someone yesterday?" Connor asks after Olivia leaves the room.

   "Unfortunately," I admit.

   "Who did you interview?" His face looks very concerned.

   "William Addington," I say as if it were no big deal.

   "William Addington, why on Earth would you interview him out of all people?!" Connor shouts.

   "I didn't know who else to interview. What's wrong with him?" I curiously question.

   "William was my child hood best friend. He was always so jealous of my family because his parents were struggling financially. When it came time for us to choose our college paths, he chose the same career path as I did. He would secretly try to sabotage me in every class. Whether is was destroying my projects or "accidentally" losing important papers of mine. One day I found out and from that day on we have been sworn enemies," I can see the anger in his eyes.

   "Connor I'm so sorry, I swear if I would have known," he cuts me off.

   "I know Harper, I know," he sighs.

   "He's taken so much from me in my life,  I couldn't bare to lose you to him too," Connor puts his hands on the counter top.

   "You're never going to lose me Connor, I promise," I pull him away from the counter.

   Tears are forming in his eyes, but, he pulls me into his arms to hide it.

   Connor has so much bad blood with everyone I just so happen to run into in New York City. New York City is huge! It's almost as if I'm a magnet for people Connor dislikes!

   I head up to the bedroom with the dress to begin getting ready for the dinner at 6, as well as help Olivia get ready as well.

   After a few hours Olivia and I head downstairs to meet up with Connor.

   "Wow, my girls are stunning," he whistles.

   We both blush before heading to the car.

   Upon arrival at the restaurant we take a seat as Connor gets on the stage to talk about Humphrey Enterprises.

   "These cherry turnovers are so good, Olivia," I tell her as I take a big bite.

  "I know, I want more," she quivers her lip.

   I see a person carrying a tray full of the cherry turnovers.

   "Excuse me mam, is there anyway we could more of the cherry turnovers?" I ask.

   "I'm very sorry, we're only allowed to give each guest one," she apologizes.

   Olivia and I stare at each other for ten seconds before I decide to speak.

   "Come with me," I take her hand and pull her towards an arrow that says "kitchen".

   Another arrow is marked "kitchen shortcut" which I quickly pull Olivia in the direction of.

   I can tell that we're behind the stage because the closed curtain is letting through some light at the bottom.

   "Come on Olivia, we don't want to get caught," I turn around to whisper while trying to get her to move faster. In the process of me turning around to tell her that, I trip and fall on the floor.

   "Harper!" Olivia exclaims while bending down to me.

   Connor is still talking and can be heard very clearly.

   "I now present to you, our winter line of 2018!" Connor shouts into the microphone.

   The curtain is opened, revealing Olivia and I on the ground in front of all the clothes. I spring to my feet and run back with Olivia to the original direction we came from.

   After the whole night is conclude I am forced to face Connor.

   "What was that all about?" He angrily asks.

   "We just wanted more cherry turnovers and they wouldn't let us have any, I'm sorry," I whisper.

   He sighs.

    "You girls drive me crazy," he shakes his head.

   "But what would you do without us?" Olivia questions and we all laugh.