prologue-ish???

the backroom was stuffy. the garage door was shut, and the air had stopped running. the only water left in the backroom fridge was flavored, something she didn't like. cristina sighed and took the price tag gun, tapping the tag of a blue hoodie and punching it through. she clicked it into place and pulled it away, admiring her handy work. ms. nina, a red-headed older lady who also volunteered at the thrift shop nodded in approval.

“that’s perfect! just be sure you don't stab yourself! i'm going to go print some labels now,” she chimed, turning around and walking back over to the HP desktop.

avery entered from the office, carrying a box. she smiled brightly at cristina, who waved in return, before attempting to quickly finish up the pricing.

“i’m a bit late, but i made it! ms. lisa gave me a box of shoes for us to categorize!” she said, taking it to one of the back tables. the short haired girl dug around, making some interesting expressions as she came across some interesting pairs.

"bro, this box is crazy. who even-?" she pulled out the first pair, some clunky, ugly black boots and shuddered.

cristina laughed and pricetagged the last few articles of clothing before coming to sit. she glanced into the box, raising her eyebrows at the eccentric pairs. She took the clipboard and sat down, taking a pair and documenting it.

“alright, next pair!” she hummed, looking at avery. avery nodded and stood on her tiptoes, pulling out a pair of girl’s ballet flats.

“description?” she held the pen above the paper, starting to write.

“sparkly, black girl’s ballet flats. size 12,” avery finished, setting them aside.

cristina shot her a fake glare. “boys can wear those too, you know! don't assume!”

avery laughed, responding. “i know, i know. but the people here might not like that!” she pulled out the next pair, blue champions.

“i was joking, buttttt…. what are those??” cristina asked, laughing.

avery grinned. “ugly shoes- that’s your answer. and how’s the guac squad? we haven't talked about them in a while. is carter back from camp?”

cristina nodded. “yup! the guac squad is good, i made them a fla- oh yeah, you were there for that. we got some fresh new memes, can’t stop that grind,” she said, laughing. “you know, with the little strong, whining, and steam emoji-” she stopped when avery nodded. “antyways, he returned last night. i caught him up on the most recent memes and band trash. for instance, top has returned.”

“ah, i heard about that- size 7, dudes! isn’t their new color yellow or something?” avery handed her a new pair.

“yeah! they added to their logo and all that stuff!” the puerto rican confirmed, grabbing a pair for herself and beginning to classify them.

“wild.”