Chapter 7

"It's a masterful melody
     When she calls out my
     name to me, as the world
    spins around her she laughs,
    rolls her eyes and I feel like
    I'm falling but it's no surprise
    Cause I love her with all that
    I am"
            -Noelle Scaggs/
             Michael Fitzpatrick

     Mike heard what happened after his practice game so he went to the Faculty Room. He saw Laura putting some ice on her face.  It's a good thing, everybody had left, either for home or for their  next classes.

     "How bad was it?" He asked Laura.

     "Your favorite student almost took off my face." she countered vehemently,  eyes blazing at him.

     "It was an accident I'm sure. She was also hit on the face. It's part of the game."

     "And was kissing you in front of a lot of people also part of the game?" she spat at him,  like a predator to a prey.

     "Honey, it's just for fun! You know that girl is very playful," he defended weakly.

    "Mike, are you blind or you just love the idea that that playful girl is in love with you. It's not funny for me as your girlfriend. It's an insult."

     "Let's not overreact. I know Ms. Alano doesn't mean any harm." this time he was trying to be forceful.

    "Why are you defending her? Are you also falling for her like those other idiots?" Her accusations were becoming vile. There was no longer a hint of doubt.

    "Laura,  she's so young for my taste. I must admit I am amused by her antics."

     "For the first time,  why am I finding it hard to believe you? When you ran to her, I saw something different passing between the two of you."

    "You're imagining things. I'm enjoying her company. We talk the same language..."

    Laura cut him off. "And we don't. You already admitted that you like her company. What about mine? You have to stop whatever is going between you two, or"

     This time it was Mike who cut her off,  "Or what, Laura?  Are you so bitter that you are becoming unreasonable now?  It was just a game.  It's as simple as that and yet you are trying to blow it up into something so ugly ."

     "I am not bitter or biased.  You are surely falling for that simpering girl.  I am warning you again stop whatever it is or I'll talk to the dean about it. " She warned again.

     "I don't know that you could be that vindictive and petty. You're ready to ruin a student's future because of baseless jealousy. I can't believe you." He left her without a glance.

    The following afternoon, the Dean of AdCom summoned Mike to his office.  "Laura told me you're having an affair with one of your students. I know you better than that, Mr.  Talavera"

     " Dean, you know me better than anyone else. Am I that kind of person? Will I ruin my reputation for such pettiness?"

     "I trust you and your judgment, Mike.  That's why I have so much high regard on you. Hope this is just all fire and no smoke." The dean admonished him.

     "I will bet my life on it." Mike swore with all the convictions he could muster.

.......

     Will Charity be able to win Mike's attention?  He still was not seeing Charity as a love interest but  only as a young student desperately trying to catch his attention. Watch out for the next chapter.

     Looking forward to your vote. You may also read my other two romantic stories, "Love Unspoken" and "I Love You, My Executive Secretary!"