Safety

"This is a game of nerves, Veronica!" Hermione says while placing one hand on her hip. "And clearly you've lost yours!" Hermione adds while looking her daughter, waiting for her to respond.

"I would have rather lost my nerve than my mind," Veronica states while placing her hand on the dining room table. "Which clearly, you and daddy have!" She takes a deep breath before speaking, "That October Surprise wouldn't just ruin Fred's campaign, it would ruin his life."

While the two women stare at one another, there is a heavy knock at the door. The man behind the door knocks once and then once more when he receives no response. "Oh god, who is it?" Hermione sighs, as she turns to face the door. Suddenly the door is kicked in, allowing the man to enter the apartment.

"You may know my father who goes by the name 'Papa Poutine'?" The tall man questions while balling his hands up into fists, noticing the fear on the two women's face. He takes one step forward, "He told me to never take the life of the man that killed him but the lives of the people he cares for most."

Hermione pushes Veronica towards the study, "Run!" She yells while following suit.

After running into the study and blocking the door, the women back into the corner behind the desk. As the man breaks his way into the study, Hermione grabs the gun from the box on the desk. "Leave us alone!" she begs, pointing the gun at the man. He cocks his head to the side and smirks, continuing his path to her.

Hermione shoots the man four times, causing him to finally drop. Veronica wants to say more than, "Mom", but that's all that can come out.

"I know, honey." She sighs, grabs Veronica and pulls her into her chest. "Maybe you should stay somewhere else tonight? It's not safe to stay here."

Veronica nods and hugs her mother even tighter. "I love you, mom." She mumbles as she pulls away and starts to make her way around the man on the floor. "What do we do about him?" She says while staring at the intruder, who lay dead on the floor.

"I'll take care of it, just have Andre take you wherever you feel is the safest, okay? I love you, be careful and stay in touch."

Veronica nods and makes her way to leave the penthouse and to the only place she knows she'll be accepted at such a late hour.

++++

By the time Veronica gets to the Cooper residence, she's a mess. She's crying and finds it hard to breathe. After a few minutes of trying to catch her breath, Veronica makes her way up to the front door and knocks. As Betty approaches the front door she mumbles, "It's freaking midnight who is-"

When Betty opens the door, rubbing her eyes from being woken up, it makes Veronica cry even harder. "I'm so sorry, Betty." Veronica wipes the tears from her face and turns to leave but feels Betty place a hand on her arm.

"Hey, Veronica, you're crying." Betty states in a sleep ridden voice while pulling her into her chest. "Wanna come inside and tell me what happened?" She asks as she pulls back and places her hands on either sides of Veronica's face.

The brunette sniffles and nods, allowing herself to be guided up the stairs into Betty's room by the hand. It's only when Veronica lays down in bed beside Betty does she notice the time. The alarm clock flashes 12:15, which makes the girl try to get up from bed. "Shit, I woke you-"

"It's okay, V, just come back to bed." Betty pleads softly as she reaches a hand out to grab her best friend. "I want to know what happened."

The smaller girl allows herself to be pulled back into bed and lets out a small sigh. "This might take a little while-" Veronica admits with another sigh and turns to face the blonde.

Fifteen minutes. That's how long it takes for her to tell Betty what happened before she's left sobbing into her chest. "I'm so sorry," Betty murmurs as she hugs the brunette even tighter, causing her sobs to grow louder. "You're okay, baby, you're safe here." Betty mumbles as she presses a kiss to the crown of Veronica's head and soothingly rubs her back. "I won't let anyone hurt you as long as I can help it."

When the brunette's sobs eventually subside to just sniffles, she removes herself from her best friends side and sits up. "Betty, there's something I need to tell you."

Betty nods her head in silent encouragement. "I'm all yours, V, say whatever you need to." She says as she touches the brunettes cheek gently and smiles.

"There's a reason I came here." Veronica confesses as she runs a hand through her hair. "My mom told me to go where I feel the safest and, Betty Cooper, you are the one I feel safest with." She sniffles and gives Betty a shy smile. "After everything that has happened, I only wanted to be in your arms and held by you because I know you will protect me no matter what. I know we're just best friends but-"

Betty tenses up and shakes her head side to side, attempting to clear her head of the possible meanings of her best friends ramblings. "Wha-what are you-"

"Hang on, let me finish," Veronica begs as she gently touches the blondes arm. "Please."

"Okay."

"What I'm trying to say is, Betty Cooper, I am in love with you." Veronica confesses as she looks into her best friends eyes. "I don't know if you feel the same, which is fine, really." Veronica mumbles as she looks down at the comforter. "I-I'm sorry, it's just that tonight has made me realize life is too short to not go for what we want in life and, Betty," The brunette points to her and then the blonde. "This is what I want, if you want it too that is."

The blonde beams up at the brunette. "Veronica, I'm in love with you too." Betty slowly leans up and gently places her lips against Veronica's. "Of course I want this, baby."

Veronica giggles at the nick name. "I don't think I've ever said this before but thank you for everything, Betts." She mumbles sleepily as she places her head back onto the blondes chest. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, V, but you shouldn't thank me for that." Betty smiles as she rubs small circles into her girlfriends back. "After all, B & V forever, right?"

"B & V forever." Veronica confirms with a grin before kissing the blonde and falling asleep in her arms.