Chapter II - A Lazy Morning On Baker St

'I never knew you had a sister,'

The morning sun streams in through the curtains of 221B, catching particles of dust mid-air. Clara's cup of chamomile is warm in their hands, wisps of steam wafting from it. She sits in John's chair across from Sherlock, watching his eyelids droop with his head resting in his hand.

'Neither did I, until a couple of weeks ago.' Clara listens intently. 'Apparently, I erased her from my childhood memories. Mycroft had kept her locked up in a place called Sherrinford after she burnt down our house and killed my best friend out of jealousy.

'Remember that night we fought? Just before Moriarty tried to make you commit suicide.' Clara nods in response. 'Well, that same day, Eurus lured us to Sherrinford in an attempt to kill us. That was the day I found out I had a sister.'

'She's quite a character, isn't she?' Clara responds. Sherlock breathes out a chuckle. 'What's she doing now?'

'I imagine Mycroft is keeping a close eye on her. He says he's working on "rehabilitating" her.' Sherlock rests his hands in his lap. 'I don't think it's a good idea. She's bound to try and kill him again--maybe even us.' 

Clara looks down at her cup. 'You never know. People can change.' A scoff comes from the chair across from her, and Sherlock puts his hands back up to his chin. 'What are you working on his early?' 

'A case Lestrade gave me yesterday. A woman's death in Manchester, they're trying to find the motive and the murderer.'

Clara, her cup being empty, gets up and goes back over to the sink. 'Will you be going in for that this week, then?'

'I will be on Friday.' Sherlock answers. 'By the way, have we got any honey?'

'What for?' Clara opens the cupboard to find it honey-less, and also nearly empty. 'Also, maybe I could go in with you on Friday.'

'Why not?' Sherlock responds. 'I was going to do an experiment to find out how long human eyes would last in honey. I think they would break down after a couple weeks.'

Clara smirks and side-eyes him. 'Okay, you are not doing that, but I'll pick some up anyway 'cause it looks like I have to stop by the supermarket today.' Sherlock sighs a 'fine' but shoots her a grin.

~

'Really? Apples for £5?' Clara groans. Picking up a bag, she checks her list again and looks back at her cart. 'Alright, that's everything.' she says and heads over to the checkout counter. Waiting in the Costcutters queue, Clara checks today's schedule on her sticky note.

'Clara?' a woman's voice comments from behind her, which makes Clara turn and look up, where she comes face to face with Eurus.

'Oh! Eurus!' Clara's voice trails off. What is she supposed to say? How are you seems to strange a thing to ask--she doesn't know Eurus that well, and last night's visit was just short of friendly. She doesn't know if she can even trust Eurus yet.

'How are you?' Eurus asks. Is she being sarcastic, Clara wonders? It doesn't seem like it. She has a smile on her face and she seems friendly enough, but Sherlock said she wasn't to be trusted.

'I'm fine!' Clara smiles, 'How are you?'

'I'm alright,' Eurus says, smiling back.

'What are you doing out here then--I thought Mycroft was keeping a close eye on you?'

'Oh, he is. This is just part of the whole "rehabilitating" thing--I've been doing mundane jobs just to prove I can handle it. But I think Mycroft just wanted me to get his groceries.' she jokes. Clara lets out a friendly laugh as she approaches the cashier in the queue. 'What's on your list for today?' Eurus asks as Clara puts her groceries on the counter.

'Not much, really, I've just got to drop these off at home and be at work by 4.' Clara responds. The girl behind the counter scans her items.

'Would you like to go get coffee, then? My treat. I want to get to know my brother's girlfriend better,' Eurus smiles in a friendly manner.

Should I trust her? Clara wonders. Looking at Eurus, she doesn't seem like a threat--she's being nice enough. But can Clara trust her? 

'That's nice of you to ask, Eurus,' Clara responds. 'I'd love to get to know you better, too.' It can't hurt to trust her, at least a little, Clara thinks.

Eurus' eyes lit up as Clara puts her groceries into her bag.

~~~~~

Happy holidays! :)

~Sofi xo

WC: 738

24.12.18