Chapter Twelve- Spying & Acting

Dasher slipped out of camp, Oz's scent fresh in his nostrils. I better hurry before the scent trail fades. Dasher broke into a run, splashing through puddles. The scent was leading away from the woods and into the city. Dasher slowed down as Oz's scent gradually grew stronger. Ears pricked, Dasher could make out indistinct muttering.

Creeping closer, Dasher peered around the corner of a brick house, then quickly scrambled back when he spotted Oz. More cautiously this time, Dasher peeked around. Oz was indeed there, standing and talking to none other than Sleet and Hail, the Rottweiler and Pit Bull that lived together before the fire.

"I'm sure it's that flea-bitten Flash now," Oz growled. "I can't believe my own Alpha murdered Trickster, but it makes sense." What? That can't be true. Flash was with Frost and Trip, he couldn't have killed Trickster even if he was a bad dog. Besides, he wouldn't endanger Frost and his pups. Dasher bit back a growl. Oz is lying. But why?

Think, Dasher, think! It's probably because he is the murderer, and he's trying to pin it on Flash. "Tell your Alpha," Oz was barking. "I have to get back to camp before some dog notices I'm gone." Well, it's now or never. I can't confront him now with Sleet and Hail there, but I can pretend.....

Dasher backed up a few paces, then rolled some stones and snapped a stick in half. I'll make it seem like I just got here. Dasher rounded the corner, to see Oz facing Sleet and Hail, growling. "Get out of here you stupid dogs, or else. Before I call for backup," Oz was snarling. Dasher heart sunk. He's pretending, so he doesn't get caught. Oh my, Oz really is the bad dog! Whimpering, Sleet and Hail sprinted away. And they're acting, too. "Dasher!" Oz gasped, spinning around. "I'm so glad you're here, I was afraid I would have to fight them by myself." Dasher widened his eyes.

"That's so scary! Well, you were very brave," he panted, tail wagging, but inside he was..... disgusted. "Should we go tell Flash?" he questioned.

"Nah, it was just those two. We don't want to worry Flash," Oz replied. I can't believe it. Oz really is the bad dog! But how? Why? Everyone barked that he was such a good dog! Dasher forced those thoughts to the back of his head. I need to focus on pulling this off first.

"Oh, okay," Dasher replied, moving to turn away.

"Were you looking for me, Dasher?" Oz asked. Dasher froze. Oh no, I didn't think of an excuse! Oh wait, I know, Frost's pups!

"Er, yes," Dasher replied. "I saw you weren't in camp but your patrol was, and I wanted to find you and tell you that Frost is having her pups!" he barked cheerfully.

"Well that's wonderful! But don't worry, my patrol knew I stayed behind to check some scents. And good thing I did!" Yeah, good thing. Good thing I figured out who the murderer is! I need to tell Pumpkin and Lucy! "You can go ahead back to camp, I'm going to make sure those two dogs didn't come back," Oz barked. Dasher forced himself not to snarl and snap at Oz.

"Okay, sounds good," he forced out, and once he was out of the collie's sight he ran.

Dasher didn't even bother to shake out the mud from his pelt when he reached camp. The dogs were distracted by the news of Frost giving birth, so no one noticed him. Dasher spotted Lucy barking and laughing with Cookie. "Lucy!" he barked. "Please come here!" Cookie gave Lucy a confused look.

"I'll be right back," Lucy barked, standing up and trotting over. "What is it?" she asked.

"I have urgent news," he growled softly. "But we need to wait for Pumpkin. Where is she?"

"Oh, she went to make dirt. She'll be back soon," Lucy replied. Dasher sat down, his tail tapping the earth anxiously. It felt like an hour, but finally Pumpkin emerged from the trees, heading towards a dry spot to sit.

"Wait! Pumpkin, over here!" Dasher called, trying to keep his tone light, because some dogs were giving him weird looks. Pumpkin panted happily, but when she got closer, she frowned.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I have something important to tell you," Dasher whispered urgently. "I found out that-" he was cut off by a flurry of barking. Alarmed, he jumped to his paws, stumbling into Lucy and Pumpkin in the process. His heart sank. Oh no, not now! This is the worst possible time! Sword padded through the entrance of his camp, flanked by Gunner and Bone. Bone spotted his sister Jessica, and growled. She whined, slinking away. Sword smacked Bone with his paw before continuing. Well, not even Sword's dogs are perfectly behaved.

"Hello, Flash!" Sword boomed. Flash appeared from his den, but luckily the barking masked Frost's faint howls. Sword must not find out about how vulnerable she is!

"We have to protect them," Pumpkin growled, thinking the same thing. She slowly slunk closer to Flash's den.

"Sword! What are you doing here? You're not welcome!" Flash barked sharply. Sword chuckled.

"Really? I think I have every right to do what I want. You owe me, Flash! You killed my brother, but nothing you do will ever make up for his death!" the Wolfdog howled.

"For the last time, Sword, I didn't kill your brother!" Flash snapped.

"Fine, then," Sword replied, sitting down. The barking subsided. "Then hand over whoever did, and this can end."

"I don't know who killed your brother!" Flash snarled through gritted teeth. Dasher's heart thumped loudly. I know who the murderer is! I do! But when he looked at the fierce Wolfdog, his mouth went dry. What if I'm wrong? No, I can't be!

"Okay then, we'll do this the hard way," Sword snarled. "Pack, attack!" From all sides of the camp, dogs jumped out, howling. Ambush!