Chapter 1

"Do try to come back unharmed this time," Lord Elrond told his foster son.
    "Not a chance.  You know us Ada, we always manage to run into some trouble," Aragorn replied with a grin on his face.  Beside him, Legolas was grinning too as he elbowed his friend. 
    "Don't worry," the blond elf replied.  "We'll try our best.  Estel's right though.. We have a talent in finding trouble."

    Estel shook his head.  "No.  I changed my mind.  Trouble finds us."  The two friends laughed before mounting their horses.  Elrond shook his head, smiling, as he bid them a farewell.  If they really did come home unharmed, it would be a first.

OoOoO

    "How far are you wanting to go before we stop for the night?  It's a good idea to make the fire for dinner before it gets too dark.  We don't want attract any.. Unwanted attention.." Legolas said as he and Estel rode through a forest.  He could tell by position of the sun that it would be setting in an hour or so.  They had been traveling since early that morning, taking only a few, short breaks.  They were hoping to explore a mountain pass that was mostly abandoned.  It was said that those who went in never came back, but Legolas and Estel weren't sure they believed that.  Curious though, they decided to check it out. 
    The ranger shrugged.  "I don't know.. Just whenever we find somewhere good to stop.  Do you see a clearing anywhere?"
    Legolas scanned the area before shaking his head.  "No." He paused as if listening for something.  "The trees say there's a worthy spot about two miles north of here though."
    Estel nodded.  It was in the direction they were going, so it worked out perfectly.  "Great," he said as the two of them started to their future campsite.

OoOoO

    Once they arrived, they dismounted their horses and tied them to a tree so they wouldn't escape.  They then began to set up camp, Estel getting out their supplies and collecting wood to build a fire, and Legolas hunting for their dinner.
    Legolas was glad he finally got to spend time alone with his closest friend.  One or the other always seemed to be busy.  Estel was often off with the rangers, and Legolas was in Mirkwood trying to rid the forest of the shadow.  Even when they did manage to meet up, others were there too.  On the rare occasions that they were alone together, one or both of them ended up getting hurt, cutting their adventure short.  The archer was desperate to put all of that to a stop.
    The prince of Mirkwood was so lost in thought, that he almost didn't realise that a rabbit was in front of him, or rather, below him.  He was in a tree so any animals that came along wouldn't be startled by his presence.  Within a few seconds, he knocked an arrow and it hit its target. 
    Legolas hopped down from the tree and collected his kill.  They would only be needing the one rabbit since he was planning on making a stew tonight.  He started making his way back to camp.

OoOoO

    Near the campsite of the ranger and the elf, a small group of humans were spying on them.  The one in charge, a man with dark brown hair and travel worn clothes, looked at the elf in distaste.  He couldn't wait to get his revenge... Not so much on the elf-prince, but on his father. 
    Their plan was a simple one, they just needed the right moment to put it in action.. By the time night fell, the elf would be in their clutches begging for mercy!  But no, they wouldn't give him that.. They would torture him until the mighty elf king Thranduil was on his knees begging for them to stop.  When that moment came they would kill his son before his eyes... They would show him what it was like to lose the people closest to you.. They would show him the pain he inflicted upon their village many years ago...

OoOoO

    The sun was just starting to set as Legolas returned with the rabbit.  He immediately started on their supper, him and Estel being starved.  After a while though, the fire was dying.  Legolas turned to his human friend.  "Could you go collect some more firewood? I would but I need to look for a herb to season the stew."
    Estel nodded, going off.  Legolas could have sworn they had the herb he needed, but he was apparently mistaken.  It was luckily a common one though, so he most likely wouldn't have much trouble looking for it.  Just moment after Aragorn left, he too, headed back into the woods.

OoOoO

    The group of humans all smiled as they saw the two friends go off into the woods.  Perfect.  This was just the distraction they needed.  As soon as they were sure they wouldn't be seen, the dark haired leader walked into their camp.  He looked at the pot of stew cooking over the small fire.  He took a small bag of herbs out and dumped it into the food.  A wicked grin came across his face.
    "There.  That should keep them asleep for a while.."

OoOoO

    Legolas was right, he quickly found the herb.  Once he was nearing their campsite again, he stopped in his tracks, certain he just heard footsteps.  He shook his head.  It was probably just Estel with his firewood.  It sounded human after all
Estel returned to the site mere seconds after Legolas did.  In minutes, the stew was ready, and they both began to eat.  They were both so hungry, that they didn't notice the extra herb that was in there..
"It tastes great Legolas," the ranger said to his friend, who gave a smile of thanks in return.  "Glad you like it.  I made it especially for you."
"Really?"
"No."

After eating, they both found themselves exhausted.  Hey didn't think much of it though, because of the day's travels.  Estel volunteered to take the first watch, and with that, Legolas fell asleep. 
Estel had only been keeping watch for little less than two minutes, when he noticed Legolas was already asleep.  He frowned slightly.  Strange.  The elf usually took a little longer to fall asleep.  That was quick, even with the exhaustion from their travels. Estel shrugged that thought off though.  He needed to stay focused on his watch; orcs were known to roam in these woods. 
About 15 minutes passed, and Estel found himself growing unusually drowsy.  Every now and then he kept nodding off to sleep, but then jumped back awake.  What was wrong with him? He never fell asleep during a watch.  He barely had time to wonder why he was so tired, when the effects of the sleeping herb overtook him and he drifted off into unconsciousness...