2

"Good morning girls!" Nani-sensei says after we greet in her in almost unison. "Go ahead and take a seat, but don't worry about your supplies for right now. I hope you're excited for our new book."

Hinata and I sit down, and I can't help but feel grateful once again that we sat together in this class.

"I wonder what book we'll end up reading this time," I pondered, realizing this'll be our third book since the school started.

"Maybe another diary? Nani-sensei seems to enjoy those," Hinata guessed.

"Yeah, too bad she doesn't realize no one else does." Kimbayami Haru, one of our classmates and a wing spiker on the men's volleyball team, chimes in.

I could tell he was eager to talk to Hinata, and I also saw Hinata straighten her in anticipation, though it was for a different reason. Last night, Hinata told me she wanted to tell everyone her "exciting" news all at once, but she was trouble keeping it to herself. I was almost certain it only applied to the volleyball team, but I was immensely curious as well.

"Kimbayami, that's not very nice." Hina-chan scolding the brown haired wing spiker reminded me of where I was and I glance at Kimbayami to see him looking at me like he just noticed my presence.

"Ah, um, hi Koizumi-san." He muttered, looking away out of embarrassment and rubbing the back of his neck. I couldn't help but notice that our hair was about the same length. If his hair was a little lighter, we could almost be twins.

"Hi Kimbayami-san," I respond, not really worried he didn't notice me sooner. Nah, we couldn't be related, the similarities were too minor. Plus, I wouldn't want to deal with my sibling liking my best friend.

After seeing Kimbayami relax a little, I turn to the front of the room, where Nani-sensei was setting a large pile of books on her desk. I wonder if Kimbayami like Hinata last year as well.

"Do you think Nani-sensei is going to make us answer all the questions for the book like we did the last two times?" My question was aimed more at Hinata, but Kimbayami answered.

"Most likely. And then she'll throw in the lessons we're supposed to be learning." Hinata rolled her eyes but didn't comment this time. Neither of us could figure out why Kimbayami wasn't very fond of Nani-sensei.

Class went by pretty quickly after Nani-sensei introduced the new book, something about a prince trying to avoid an arranged marriage. I peeked a Kimbayami a few times and saw that, as usual, he was staring longingly at Hinata from his seat behind her.

After class, Kimbayami waves goodbye to Hinata, saying he'll see her in the gym after school. Once he leaves, Hinata wiggles her eyebrows at me to suggest something and I glare at her in response, mostly in disbelief that she can't pick up on his blatant feelings for her. I leave my best friend to make my way to my science class, not ready to sit through the boring droning my teacher seems to have perfected.

****

"Yuu-chan!" Ayano calls out as I reach her and Danielle in the main courtyard where we normally meet up.

"Hey guys! Where's Hina-chan?" I inquire, putting my bag down.

"Some first year in the art club got to her before she made it to us. Probably wanted to show her that mural Hina-chan told us about the other day." I nod at Danielle's explanation and take a moment to remember how bad her Japanese was when she first moved here. The thought reminded me of something.

"Hey, Danielle, how different is this school from your old one? Since the changes I mean," I absently asked.

"Huh? Well, in America every highschool is different. A lot less unified. But it's pretty different."