Chapter Four

It's the third day of training. I spent all day yesterday with the careers. It was weird. The way that they trained almost made it seem fun, like it was actually a game. The only thing that gave me a reality check was when Ceffa came up to me and the only thing she said was, "If you are with them, then you're already dead."

She's right. I don't know why I've let myself even get this far with them. I'm in too deep to just quit, though. I know what I need to do. I'll stick with the careers in training, let them protect me in the bloodbath, then get out. The rest of training is uneventful. I find out that the district one female is named Lark and she is definently the weak point of the careers. She's skilled with a sword and that's pretty much it. The district two male is named Skit and he has a perfect shot with a bow. They're a lethal bunch and I don't know why they wanted me in the first place.

The next day it's time for our session with the sponsors. Key dosn't say much to me while we wait, but I can tell that she's happy that I've joined them. She goes first and comes back looking confident.

I enter the large training room I see the group of colorful sponsors up in their box. Other then them, it's strangely silent in a room that had been full of tributes not too long ago. I go straight to the targets and waste no time to hit the three bulls-eyes with the throwing knives. I side step to the next row and hit the three targets with spears, a skill that Latch had taught me over the past two days. I step to the third human shaped target, shoot an arrow straight to the center of the head, and leave.

Back in the suite we all gather in the main room waiting to see our scores. They start with district one female, and go up from there. The scores go: Eight, Eleven, Ten, Nine, Six, Four, and then they get to our district. I'm kind of surprised when both Key and I score an eleven. Everyone in the room celebrates and congradulates the two of us. I see Mags doesn't look as pleased though.

"Its okay that you've learned, after all it is what I told you to do, but don't lose your way. Follow your instinct." She says when she pulls me to the side. I know that she's telling me to not trust the careers, and I don't. I feel as prepared as I'm ever going to be for the games. The only thing left was the interviews.

The tributes are all dressed up again and waiting in line for a chat with Ceasar. Im wearing a suit very similar to the one that I wore during the opening ceremony, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same one. I don't pay attention to the other tributes' interviews and before too long it's my turn.

I walk on to the stage and smile for the Capitol citizens. I make my way to the very comfortable red chair, and take a seat.

"So Asher," Ceaser started, "How did you feel when you were chosen for the Hunger Games?"

"I was surprised at first, but then I was excited to be a part of something where I can represent my district." I lie with a smile. We go on with the typical questions that he asks, with which I respond with a fake answer to make the crowd happy.

"So were almost out of time here, so why don't you tell us why people should root for you?" He asks, trying to wrap things up.

"People will like me because I have reason to win, and will play smart in the arena." I try to give a generic answer to not threaten any other tributes, and at the same time make it seem that I have a chance.

After a quick goodbye, I walk off stage and we go back to the our rooms right after the interviews. I eat a lot at dinner, assuming it will be my last meal, and don't sleep much during the night.

Today's the day. We wake up early and are flown in a strange vehicle to the arena. We each go down in to our private rooms to have one last talk with our mentors. Mags says that whatever happens I will make my father proud. She tells me that I can't bring my fishhook pin in to the arena because it can be "used as a weapon". What this really means is that there will be water that I can fish in, but they don't want to spoil the arena. She gives me a hug and a kiss on the forehead, then I step in to the tube that will take me up to the arena.