Chapter 6: Sydney

My own mother?

No.

Sydney couldn't deny how much she favored the woman—she had never seen anyone that looked like her before. Among orphans, that was common, but here, in this room with this woman, she was experiencing it for the first time, and yet, any satisfaction she may have felt was non-existent. Not when the woman was responsible for the death of dozens of people, including the only family she had known.

"You are not my mother," Sydney seethed, her gaze hardened and lips in a tight frown.

The slight fall of Diana's face didn't go unnoticed by her daughter, but Sydney had no attachment to the queen of the mercenaries. In fact, she found herself wishing she'd never met her.

"I will always be your mother, Sydney."

"Not to me," she argued as calmly as possible. "I've never had a mother, and I sure as hell don't need one now."

"But, I—" seeing the stone cold look on Sydney's face, Diana let her sentence die out, taking a few steps back. "I see...You must be overwhelmed with everything that's happened. I'm sure exhaustion is settling in."

Turning away from the eastern girl, Diana sighed. "We should pick this talk back up in the morning."

"Yeah," Sydney mumbled half-heartedly.

But, I'll be long gone by then.

With her dark blue eyes trained on the woman's rigid back, Sydney began reaching into her back pocket, trying to figure out what Casey had given her. Her thumb managed to brush against the cool metal surface just as Diana turned around. Halting her motions, Sydney acted as if nothing was happening, choosing to return Diana's studious gaze with a blank one, lacking all emotion.

A storm looked to be raging in her dark brown eyes now, but not one of anger. It was different, more like one of pain. Of torment.

The sound of clicking filled the silent room, drawing Sydney's stare down to the woman's hand, that was now pressing on a button at the edge of her desk. Within seconds, the door opened and a dozen guards entered, alert and armed. In the front of the group stood the two men that dragged her there, forcing her to confront the childhood demon she didn't know possessed her. Her mother—rather, the woman that should have been such.

"Take her to the guest chambers. Any room will do," Diana instructed, her voice back to the sharp cold tone she used earlier.

After a slight bow, Holden and Phillip gripped Sydney's arms and, more gentle than before, began hauling her out the door.

"Oh, and Sydney?"

Diana's call caused the men to freeze in their tracks, giving their matriarch time to speak whatever still lingered on her mind. Sydney, however, was itching to put as much distance between them as possible.

"Yes?" she answered begrudgingly.

"You will never quite know how much I've longed for this day." When only silence echoed in the stony room, Diana continued. "We have much to discuss, tomorrow. I look forward to it."

No response was given on Syndey's part. Not one glance, nod, or hum was uttered. To her, the only thing she could focus on was the fact that she was being taken somewhere else, and she had to know how to retrace her steps if she was to escape and get to Brooke. However, no matter how much she tried to ignore it, the ever-tightening knot in her stomach proved meeting the woman that birthed her was taking its toll.

"You may go now."

With thier leader's go ahead, the men carried Sydney down multiple halls, up many steps, and under a dozen stone archways until finally entering a large, barely furnished room. With the ash-colored walls and dead space, the place was likened to a cave, with the exception of well built furniture and subtle gold accents scattered about. It was more decorated than Diana's office, which confused Sydney to a certain degree, but she shook any curiosity off, knowing she had no time or intention to get answers.