Witch at Work

"Just introduce yourself to Ranner Frandsen. He only has to sign your job offer then you give it back to me and I'll show you to your desk." Ella instructs as she leads Athena to the office of the CEO and owner of Flickering Scents Co., after a brief orientation.

Wearing a casual denim jacket over a stripes white shirt, her boss could only be a year or two older than Alex. She clears her throat before greeting him. "Good morning Mr. Frandsen. I'm  Athena Rose Shepherd reporting for work."

"At last you came from the dead after a month

"At last you came from the dead after a month." Ranner replies still glued on his laptop. He has a thick accent. Not of English descent like Alex.

She ignores his sarcasm. " I hope they informed you about my accident." Won't he look at her?  She was about to sit down but the man stops her by raising his hand.

"Yes I have it." He finally turns to her waving the medical certificate. "You never have to sit down. You're fired." The CEO  says calmly then  returns to his laptop and starts to type on the keyboard.

She froze in a moment. Not just thoroughly humiliated but she feels like all her dreams suddenly collapsed right infront of her.

"You heard me right?" He snaps her out of shock.

Regaining her composure, she asks, "Why....? You haven't given me a chance yet to prove myself."

Ranner shakes his head in a disgusting way. "Miss Shepherd, I expect my employees to be prompt  at work. I accept no reason for your long absence. Though the Director of KGP recommended you...." he speaks slowly emphasizing what he means..."As your boss and the owner of its sister company, I can fire you anytime....this is it." He paused then added, "Besides, your family owns the prestigious Good Shepherd Hospital, you can work there, can't you?"

Athena scoffs and walks out. Her mind screams fuck you as she closes the door behind her. She never cursed in her life.

The elevator opens. A man holding two cups of coffee steps out asking her with a smile. "How's your first day so far?" He's with Ella at the reception earlier welcoming her.

Athena shrugs at the receptionist. "Fired."

Jeremy puts down the coffee cups on the table and asks with curiosity, "Who fired Athena Shepherd?" The two men looked at him. Only these two bosses can fire people in this building but maybe he has no right to ask. "Well just asking... enjoy your coffee." He walks out of Alex's office.

"You fired her?!"Alex's indignant question to Ranner echoes as Jeremy closes the door behind him.