Chapter 20- The Big News

Hayden’s POV

            This was pathetic. Everything about this fucking trip was pathetic. I stomped off the boat, Ronnie and Sam behind me holding hands. That was the best part of my night, watching them finally get together. Ronnie giggled at something Sam said and I rolled my eyes, glad they couldn’t see me. I got in Sam’s car and we left.

            “Do you want to come to my house or go home?” Ronnie asked me from the front. I sighed.

            “Just bring me home.”

            “What happened?” Ronnie asked. I told her and Sam everything. From Jacob telling me about Kenzie and about Peter yelling at me.

            “He’ll get over it Hay, he will.” Sam said. I laughed even though it wasn’t funny. “I know you don’t believe me, but really Hayden, it’ll be okay.” I looked out the window and practically jumped out when they parked in my driveway.

            “Thanks guys.”

            “Don’t forget, 5 days it’s the fourth of July, which is going to be so fun!” Ronnie said as I opened the door. I rolled my eyes and went inside. Drew was sitting on Jason on the couch in the living room. I tried to walk by them but Jason called for me. I walked over.

            “You hung over?” I waited before nodding at him. “Medicine is in my room, go to bed love.” I smiled at my brother and waved at Drew while I went upstairs. Her giggles filled the house, and it seemed like everyone around me was falling in love but me. I mean, I was kind of in love, but he didn’t love me back. Not anymore. I did what Jason said, taking the medicine and I lied down. Closing my eyes I drifted into a deep sleep.

---

            “Hayden! Hayden wake up!” My brother screamed next to me. I shot up staring at my brothers tear streaked face. I knew instantly that something was wrong. “Hayden, come on, put clothes on.” He ran out of my room and I pulled jogging pants and a bra and a black tank top on. Grabbing my headphones and phone I ran out to meet my brother. He was on the phone.         

            “Mom! Get your ass there right now! I’m not fucking kidding!” Something was wrong. It was 2:14 in the morning and Jason just swore at our mom. He pulled me out of the house and practically threw me in the car.

            “Jas, what’s going on?”

            “Shh, just be quiet, I need to focus.” I nodded and kept quiet. I had no idea where he was going. I didn’t know where we were until we pulled up in front of the hospital.

            “No, no Jason, what happened?” I started to cry and he got out, coming over to my side and opening the door. He took my seat belt off and turned me to face him. He was crying now too.

            “It was dad. He was off duty and they needed someone to take a job, he went and didn’t have any vests on underneath and he was shot. It took them 30 minutes to find him and bring him here, the bullet, it’s close to his heart. That’s all we know.” At this point I was sobbing into Jason’s shirt. My dad. I can’t lose him. Jason and I can’t lose him. “Come on Hay, we have to go.” I got out and we went inside as I cried to my brother. He led me to a floor and sat me down in a chair. I sat hunched over, my face in my hands while I cried. It felt like forever until Jason came back. He grabbed my wrists and pulled them from my face, making me look at him. Except it wasn’t Jason.