nine

I woke up in a cot back at camp. Someone probably carried me back. Hopefully Ben. I still didn't feel comfortable with anyone else at camp. Except maybe Hal, a little.

I started a bit when I noticed Tom Mason sitting in a chair, watching me.

"What do you want," I mumbled, throwing my head back onto the cot.

He stood and looked down on me, "Good morning, Dion."

Something in his voice made me pause half way through a yawn and stretch. I doubt it was an attractive position.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked nervously.

"No. Nothing wrong at all. It's just. . . Ben. Ever since you arrived, he's been. . . different. More different than before. He smiles more now. Shares his side of situations and plans. I was just wondering if you knew anything about it?"

"No." I replied, "I mean, I don't know what Ben was like before I was found, 'cause, you know. I wasn't here. But I'm sure it'll fade. Maybe it's the idea of a new soldier? Have you guys lost any good ones lately?"

"Yes, actually. Two good friends of ours, Dai Shinkoda and Jimmy Boland. Jimmy and Ben were quite the fighting pair, I'm proud to say. Sadly, Jimmy was killed on a skitter hunt. Ben was devastated and I don't want that to happen again."

"So, what are you saying?"

He leaned in closer to me, "I'm saying, don't get too close to my son. I don't want him to get hurt, he doesn't want to get hurt, and I'm pretty sure you don't want him hurt."

I stared and Tom walked out. Hopefully unsatisfied. I hate when people get in my face and tell me what to do. Or, in this case, what not to do. I'm really not a big fan of people talking to me in general.

I tried avoiding Ben the rest of the day, just in case his dad was watching. At dinner, though, he sat with me and Ky.

"Hey."

"Hi," my voice sounded and felt weird. Like it was fighting a war of its own.

"Is there something wrong? You've been avoiding me."

Dang it. He had brains.

"What? Pfft, no. I'm not avoiding you! Why would I be doing that?"

He looked at me quizzically.

I now knew what every paper plates' design was like, I stare at them so much.

"I think, I think I'm just catching something. I didn't want to pass it on to you," Wow, maybe I'm not as bad at lying as I've always thought.

"Well, go to Dr. Glass. She has something for everything."

Crap.

"Yeah, maybe I will. Later though. When I'm not watching over Ky. Don't want him near all those drugs and stuff." I had no idea what I was saying.

Ben shrugged and started eating. Something in my shoe has been poking me all day, but now it was getting annoying. I bent down and pulled it out. A leaf. From the pile yesterday. Flicking it to the side, I ate a spoonful of cut pears. Too late, I forgot to chew. I started coughing deeply and hitting my chest with my fist. The pear was soft so I got it out of my throat fast enough, but it left me with a small audience and slightly watery eyes.

Ben had stopped to watch me mid-chew. Now that I was fine, he snorted and kept eating.

"Thanks for the help," I joked. Then froze. That was what he had said to me the first time he was in trouble, when he fell in that hole.

Again, the mid-chew pause.

"You doofus," we said at the same time. I giggled, but quickly stopped, Ben just shook his head, grinning.

Altogether, it was a rather awkward chat.