Chapter One - The Hunter

Journal Entry 812-

This account is a mere vent. Beyond being a small annoyance lately, I could care less about humans. If this is ever somehow found, know it is never meant to be read. The intent of this letter is to be burned like the rest.

Most in the world believe that the term "Vampire" is nothing more than fiction... a myth born from the imagination of those creative enough to come up with such things. A word to those looking for wisdom, this is a lie. Most things that seem to be born in fiction are based off of the truth that people don't want to believe. They say that truth is stranger than fiction, but that's only because fiction is based off of reality.

Vampires aren't even considered legend anymore. No one believes in us. We are locked in a category of "fake", and mocked in both novel and film as being what we are not. 'It's impossible' 'They couldn't be real' that's what they say... ah what fools humans can be.

Vampires are not the only mythological being in which humans are so naïve about though. While too many creatures exist to take down account of, there is one popular breed that has risen with the idea of vampires and is often, also, misunderstood and mis-defined by human culture, this being none other than werewolves.

Allow me to express the annoyance in which I find fiction written about these two races. While no one believes vampires or werewolves actually exist, there seems to be this reoccurring idea in fiction, and anything else involving the two, that they have to be sworn enemies. In reality, vampires and werewolves have been united kingdoms for an eternity. Though we have our differences we are certainly alike in multiple ways as well. In some cultures vampire and werewolf literally translate to the same thing. This is because of our similarities and of our closeness. Until recent times our kingdoms have been close like this, now there is young blooded, and immature, rivalry. But this will likely not last long between them. Vampires and werewolves have much greater enemies than each other in realty.

Some of the other races are also not aware that we, and different creatures exist either for safety reasons or by choice/ law, depending on where you live and what you 'are.' The council, consisting of one representative from each different realm, decides who we all get to know about, and who we don't get to know about. Vampires, werewolves, dark elves [also called the drow], and dragons, are believed to be the only four societies who truly know of each and every other race that lives on Earth. Although in my opinion, I don't honestly believe such things. If anyone was to know of everything it would be the strongest and wisest of everyone and thing, the dragons, but even where we live, dragons are believed to be myth by most. Who can truly say...

For most vampires, none of this disturbs, or angers us. We live comfortably and don't dare challenge the council anyway.

A lot of the rules they've set in the past are preferred. It's true, humans are no threat to vampires, we could tear them limb from limb if we wanted... but we'd rather hide in the shadows. We can feed in quiet and are left in the peace of Vampire's Land.

The only time vampires truly want to come out of the shadows is to feed. While fictional stories about us are often wrong when coming to detail and fact, there is one thing humans get right about us.

We feed on blood.

No we don't eat people, and no we don't enjoy drinking animal's blood...

Our immortality and our tastes are derived from the same place... human blood. That part is not a myth.

Kris's POV

I suddenly heard the door creak open, my eyes flicked to the side but my head stayed still. I glanced back to what I was doing, smoothly placing the entry into a drawer to my right.