Welcome to the Black Order

A few weeks later my wound was healed enough for me to begin my training. I was given a sword, and allowed to keep my dagger I got from the Trials. I stand in the Clearing, just as the other stir. They stumble out of their tents, yawn and blink slowly. My own eyes are heavy with exhaustion, but it's the first day i'm back, so I force myself to stay alert. My arm is sore, but other than that, i'm fully healed. My sword is strapped to my hip in it's sheath, I haven't got a chance to practice with it yet. Viper hasn't spoken to me much since the trial, only to insult me like usual, but his eyes are always straying away to the wood, where we saw the Shadow Creature. At least he wasn't the one that had to kill it.

The General - Kanda Yuu - stood a few feet away, his foot tapping impatiently. Viper somehow ended up next to me. I resisted the urge to scowl at him. And failed. Kanda's eyes cut to me like steel and I stop, covering my face in an unbreakable mask. Impassive. Kanda was colder than ever. The War was fast approaching, I didn't blame him. His katana hung at his hip and his finger tapped the hilt. "Basic training is the most rigorous." He looked at nobody in particular as he spoke. He was being weird. "You'll be taught hand-to-hand combat, armed combat and valuable skills that could keep you from dying on the battlefield." He had everyone's attention. Soon he herded us in a circle around him. Two would enter the circle and fight, no weapons, just your own fists. It would most likely be bloody. Viper smiles like the snake he is and looks excited. He didn't look excited when he saw the Shadow Creature.

He was shoved in first with Leo. They circled each other like wild animals. Leo lunged first, and Viper side stepped with ease, delivering a good kick to the ribs as he did so. They went back and forth for several minutes, punching, kicking, and blocking with surprising swiftness. Leo got a good upcut on Viper, who in turn punched him in the jaw. The rest of us watched for a few more minutes before another duo entered the circle, then another until it was my turn. Kanda was my opponent. I tried to keep my unease from showing. He stands in the circle, waiting for me. My black vest sticks to my skin as I begin to sweat already. We circle each other, like predators. He was confident, I weary. His body tightens, like a cobra getting ready to strike. He launches himself upon me, his sheer weight nearly crushes me, but I leap out of the way. The circle widens. He comes at me again, I drop to the ground, swinging my foot in a half circle, knocking his feet from under him. He catches himself swiftly, he throws a punch I block faster than he can throw them, and I throw some of my own. I notice, that my arm is much swifter, faster and easier to control since it changed. I smile.

We keep fighting, block for block, blow for blow. Punch, block, kick, punch. We're dancing, swirling around each other, never ending. My heart pounds in my ears like war drums. I'm wild with the fight. My eyes alight with the eagerness to prove myself. What feels like hours later, the fight ends, with both of us gasping for air. He went easy on me, i'm well aware, but nonetheless, I feel like I accomplished something by the time lunch rolls around. I eat by myself, until Leo and Apollo come and take a seat beside me. "You were amazing out there!" Apollo said cheerfully, "You were so fast! You could beat Kanda in no time if you keep it up!" I smile.

"Well, he went easy on me i'm sure, he's had years of training, I could never beat him.." I say thoughtfully. I couldn't picture it. Me being stronger than him. He would always be stronger, he is a General after all.

"Maybe, but even so, you'll make a great soldier, you might even become General one day!" Apollo continued, he praised me throughout the day, when we went back to training. The days turned into weeks, and into a month until Kanda deemed us fit to start armed combat. I was more muscle toned, and faster than any of my brethren now. I could bring down almost everyone in my group. Viper and Kanda were the exceptions, Viper too big, Kanda too experienced, and even larger than Viper. Over this month, Kanda had softened, he didn't glare as often. He was currently teaching us how to draw our swords and be precise with every movement. My sword is light in my hands, he goes around correcting everyone, and adjusting them depending on the type of swords they posses. He reaches me. My mouth suddenly goes dry as he comes up behind me and grips the sword in my hand his hand on top of mine, firm but gentle. He lifts it a bit higher, he breathes on the back of my neck. I try not to twitch nervously.