Prologue

Joanna

Great! Just excellent!

I thought I’d come to this place to relax and have the most amazing summer of my life. I’d been so fucking wrong!

I didn’t usually swear, but this: this thing got me out of my mind.

I was watching as a figure was waving at me in the distance. I knew him, only he was capable of waving that way. However, I didn’t show it. I had to stay calm. Nothing had to give me away. No facial expressions, no emotions, nothing! 

The figure came closer and closer until he finally stood in front of me. I wanted to leave, but my legs seemed to be unable to move. Damn, I fucking hated it when I was anxious!

‘Hi there, Jo! Long time no see!’ – No, he wasn’t! How did he even dare talking to me?

‘Look, I really don’t have time for this…’ I lied. I wanted to get away from the place as soon as possible. Where the hell was Stephanie?

‘Come on, I haven’t seen you for ages, just give me a few minutes!’ – He looked at me that way.  Every time he’d given me that look, I couldn’t say no. And so it was happening again, after all these years! Why did he still have this affect on me?

‘Okay, let’s make it straight! What do you want?’ I asked with an angry voice

‘Hey, is something wrong? I thought we were friends…’ - His innocent expression that had once worked on me now looked quite silly in my thoughts. He thought I was going to forgive him.

‘Exactly! I also thought we were friends. Then, you fucking abandoned me on the most important night in my entire life! You didn’t even explain why! I’d been calling you for months after the concert, but you somehow never responded. And in that moment, you suddenly pop up on TV!’

‘Oh, so that’s why you’ve been avoiding me. Look, I’m sorry, I can explain – ’

‘You know, I think it’s too late. Go away, Shannon! I don’t want to have anything to do with you!’ I screamed at him and ran away. Fuck Stephanie! I had no other option; he would have seen the tears in my eyes otherwise.  

‘Jo, wait, please!’ – His voice was confused as he screamed at me. I didn’t turn around, nor did I look at him again. I only heard the overexcited screams of some girls beginning to surround him with cameras and pens.

I found an intimate place near the beach and sat on the cold sand. All the memories flashed back in my head: His audition for the band and the way he made everyone wow at his performance; our nights out; our first kiss, and that last concert, where everything fell apart…