Chapter 2

I awaken in a dark room. There is one torch, and it is on the other side of the room. I can hear water falling from the ceiling and dropping onto the cold stone floor.

I stand up, and my feet immediately feel the cold floor. I look down at my feet and see that they are bare. Of course. We get to wear what we were wearing web thy kidnapped us, and that's it.

I sit back down on the stiff, uncomfortable wooden bench I had been laying on. You may be like, "What the heck is going on?" But I'll explain now.

I have been kidnapped. But not by a normal kidnapper, by the staff of a game show. A game show called "The Gauntlet".

Every 25 years, 100 people aged 16-19 are kidnapped and forced to participate in an extremely deadly game show called "The Gauntlet". It consists of many rounds testing their survival skills, and their athletic skills. The rounds continue until only one person remains. And what makes it worse is that there is no reason for it. Literally. Russia just invaded the USA, started a war and quickly won it, and started this harsh game show.

So there. Now you know what my family and I have been so scared of. I wonder what my family will be like when they find I am missing.

I stand back up and begin pacing around the room. It is so boring in here. When are they gonna let us out?

I sit back down again. I lay down and decide to try and go to sleep. But when I put my foot down, I feel something smooth. I sit up and see that there is an envelope there. I tear it open and pull out a piece of paper. I unfold it and read it. It says:

Dear contestant,

Congratulations! You have been picked to go on "The Gauntlet"! You know how it works, but I'm gonna tell you anyway.

Every 25 years, we choose 100 people aged 16-19 and bring them here. You will be staying here for this generation's submission of "The Gauntlet". For the next few days, you will be allowed to socialize and do whatever, and you will be well fed. But in five days, The Gauntlet will come alive. You will have to face a survival test each day. It will go on until one contestant remains, and he/she will be crowned the Ultimate Survivor.

This is a huge building with many rooms. You will be allowed to tour the place and get a glimpse at each survival test during your free days along with everything else. Here is a map of the building:

You cut out the map to use to get around with those scissors on the table under the torch. When you are ready to leave the room, just press the button under the table and you can leave the room.

Good luck!

The Gauntlet staff

I look over to the other side of the room and see that there is a table under the torch like the letter says. How did I not notice that before?

I walk over to the table with the letter and quickly cut out the map. Then I bend down and look under the table. I have to look for a second, but I quickly find the button and slam it into the wall with my fist. Nothing happens.

I turn around in confusion. After a moment, the ceiling opens and an elevator slowly descends to the floor. The doors open and I step inside. I press the big red button and the doors close. I feel lighter as the elevator moves upwards. But as soon as it stops, I feel heavy again. The doors open slowly and I step out. The elevator disappears behind me, and I gasp at what I see.

The room I am in is huge. It is circular and had a very high ceiling. The wallpaper is sky blue with ribbons spread all over it into a pattern. There is a golden chandelier that hangs from the high ceiling. There are many impressive statues around the room, circling around the walls. But there is also one big statue in the middle of the room of Ryan King, the first Ultimate Survivor. This year we will be crowning our fourth.

An elevator door opens at the other end of the room and some huge guy walks in. He has huge muscles all over him. He looks around and pumps his fist. But then he sees me and clenches his fists. His eyebrows narrow and he runs at me. He reaches me quickly and lifts me off the air by my shirt.

"How dare you beat me here!" he says angrily. "I could've been the first one in here! But you just had to beat me! You better know that you're not gonna win. You know why? Cause I am! So just know that you can't take me!" He drops me and walks away, muttering angrily. Jerk.

I hear elevator doors rolling open behind me and turn around. When I see who it is I smile. I am partially sad, since my suspicions of her being picked were right, but I am glad to see her.

"Blaire!" Sam exclaims happily, but also with a slight hint of sadness. She had obviously suspected I had been chosen too, so she is not all shocked. She runs towards me and jumps into my arms. We share a nice, long kiss, and then we part. But then I wrap her back up in my arms.

"I'm so sorry this had to happen to us," I whisper into her ear. "It wouldn't have been as bad if it was just me. But the thought of you being here is unbearable."

"No, it's okay that I'm here," she whispers back. "I can't stand that you're here, though."

"No what really sucks is that--"

"Alright already!" the jerk yells from the other side of the room.

I release her from my arms and murmur, "Stay away from that guy. He's a jerk. I met him before you came up, and he hated me on sight."

Sam giggles. "Okay, I will." She pulls out her map. "Now whattaya say we tour the building?"

******************************

Okay, I think that's long enough for a chapter. Whattaya think? Two chapters in one day is pretty good, right?

Vote, comment, and follow!

-Cole