Chapter 16 - Not You Too

Nolan's POV

I couldn't even get my words out of my mouth because of the beauty I saw standing next to Shane Landes. She is perfect - size, height, etc. After looking at her up and down, dang, this woman was curvy. Too bad Kevin didn't pair me up with her. We could definitely cook together. And I am not talking about food.

I can't cook worth squat, so Kevin and Aris had me bring some wine.

"Hey Nolan, thanks for coming and for the wine. You can put it in the refrigerator. We have plenty of appetizers in the dining room until dinner is ready."

"Thanks."

"How about I skip the appetizer and go straight for the main course - her?"

I have got to find out her name. After putting the wine in the fridge, I walked towards' Shane.

"Hi, Shane. It's nice to see you again."

"She looks sexier up close."

"Nolan, this is my assistant, Ms. Sanders. Bliss, this is Nolan Grant."

"She can assist me any time."

"It's nice to meet you, Nolan. Excuse me, but I need to get started grilling this chicken." Then, she left to go outside.

Even how she says my name is sexy. "My, my, my, look at her as-"

"Nolan, don't even try it. She turned me down. So, what makes you think you have a shot? I see the way you look at her. Please spare your dignity. She is very independent and does not want a relationship. Chase is giving her the same looks. It is making her uncomfortable. So, I'm asking you nicely to leave her alone, or else?"

After Shane said that, he walked outside.

"He isn't the boss of me. I can do what I want."

Narrator's POV

Kevin and Aris had two grills in their backyard, so it only took about an hour. Shane and Bliss were cooking on one grill. Chase and Nadia were cooking on the other one. He kept stealing glances at Bliss the whole time. Bliss could feel it, so she told Shane to get her when the chicken was done.

Shane noticed how uneasy she felt at Chase's gaze, so Shane had the same chat with him that he had with Nolan - leave Bliss alone.

Once every dish was finished cooking, Kevin and Aris sampled a little bit of everything that their guests prepared so they could determine the winner at the end of the night.

Shane's POV

"Good job on seasoning the burgers, Shane."

"Thanks. I had a great teacher."

"I am very impressed, Shane. Speaking of cooking, how did he do when you taught him, Bliss?"

"It went well. I only yelled a few times. Aris and Kevin, Shane burned the bacon."

"Shame on you, Shane. It is a sin to burn bacon, don't you know?"

"What can I say, Shane? Aris and Bliss both love bacon."

"But, I have gotten better at cooking bacon."

"He has improved dramatically. Why do I feel like eyes are staring at me?"

I looked around and saw that Chase was staring at Bliss hard.

"Because someone is staring. Don't turn around. It's Chase."

"Him too? We would not have invited him if we knew he was like that. Sorry, Bliss."

"It's okay. I don't want to cause I stir in your home. Shane, can you take me home, please? I'll call you Aris."