Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Hey, guys," I greet, sitting on the bench beside Hailey with my back to the table. "I can't stay. I have to talk to someone about a history project and stop at the library."

"Oh God," Ashley groans, setting down her fork as she braces herself for the news. "There's a history project?"

"A semester long project," I tell them, laughing softly as they both groan in union. "It's instead of a final and you get to work with someone."

Immediately they both look at each other, a smile stretching across their faces as they realize they can work together on the project. I would be jealous if I didn't already know their lack of concern for their grades.

"Who did you get stuck with?" Ashley asks, flipping her hair over her shoulder as she waits expectantly for an answer.

I can already predict the outcome to this and dread the drama it's going to cause. Neither of them like Riley after he sat at our table and I'm secretly thankful that they'll have something to talk about other than me possibly losing my virginity to Marcus.

"Riley," I tell them, smiling like it isn't a big deal as Hailey snaps her neck in my direction. "The new guy."

"No fucking way," Hailey gasps, slapping her hands down on the table in front of her. I laugh at her expression, pretending like this isn't shocking to me as well. "How did you get stuck with that loser?"

I don't understand why they keep calling him a loser, but they often don't need a reason to dislike someone. Riley has the looks to be popular, but his hard expression and dark clothes kind of give him creepy vibes.

"Mr. Evans thinks I'll be a good role model to him or something," I say, shrugging my shoulders carelessly. I don't really know why Mr. Evans stuck me with Riley, but no matter who I'm with I'll end up doing the whole project on my own anyways. Riley must really have a bad rap if he needs a reliable student to show him the way.

"Better be careful," Ashley says, hiding her shock behind her look that lets us know she knows more than us. "I heard he's the violent type."

I can tell Ashley knows more than she says, but I don't question her. Part of me doesn't want to know Riley's history because I know it isn't good. I just want to get this project over with so I don't have to deal with him or his mysteries.

"I'll see you guys later," I say, standing with my salad in one hand. I had spent my time in the salad line looking for Riley and spotted him tucked away in the corner, ignoring the chaos in the cafeteria around him. I don't know how he'll react to me interrupting his solitary confinement, but perhaps he's just secretly shy and needs a push in the direction of the social ladder.

I set down the container with my salad across from Riley, noticing his posture turn stiff. I brush it off as shock that someone's acknowledging him while he's wearing his stone-cold mask and take a seat, setting my backpack on the table in front of me.

"Hi, Riley," I greet, trying not to turn on my preppy cheerleader voice like I'd like to. It comes automatically when I'm around other people and Riley seems to be the only one who isn't fond of it. "How are you?"

I decide to take an easier approach, hoping that he won't see me as a threat or a nuisance if I make small talk first. I was never one for small talk, but it's essential when I know as many people as I do.

"What? Is this your table, too?" he asks, his blue eyes finally lifting to meet mine. I feel my body freeze under his stare, unsure how to react to such intensity. He doesn't break eye contact and I force myself to look at the pen resting against his lips so I don't get trapped in his gaze. "You're shit out of luck because I'm not moving."