Animal

Harry and Sabrina were sitting in his living room, the two had become friends over time and decided that they couldn't go any longer without visiting each other. She was sitting between his legs while he braided her hair. Anne walked in and cooed, sitting next to them and turning on the tv. It was yet another news story about the current aids crisis, Harry tensed up as Anne just shook her head.

"You know it's those homosexuals right?" Anne said, disgust laced in her voice.

Sabrina clenched her teeth but Harry just rubbed her shoulders.

"Can't believe they brought it upon us", she continued.

"Mom, stop". Harry said.

"No, honey, look, they're all sexual deviants, you wouldn't understand".

"Mom, I'm gay".

Anne laughed, "right, and that's not your girlfriend sitting there, I'm not stupid Harry, why are you sticking up for them anyways?"

"I'm not his girlfriend", Sabrina said.

"Mom, I mean it, I'm gay, I have a boyfriend, and I don't like you talking like that", he said again, frustration and sadness wavering through his sentence.

Anne squinted at him. "No". She said as she stood up and walked off.

Harry sighed and ran his hands over his face, Sabrina just hugged him, "it's gonna be alright love", she said.

"What if I get kicked out?" Harry whispered.

"You can come live with me and Rose if it ever comes to that, but your mother loves you, she just needs some time babes". She reassured him.

Meanwhile in the kitchen Anne was furiously calling Johanna, "Jo, I have something I need to tell you", she said.

"Alright?" Jo responded.

"Harry, he's, oh my goodness, he just told me he likes boys".

"Oh", Johanna sighed, "he finally told you?" She asked.

"You knew?!" Anne all but screamed.

"Well yea, Louis told me about their relationship a while ago, they're cute together, like two puppies", Johanna answered.

"No no no, no, this is Louis' fault isn't it, I knew he was trouble, and you agree with this?"

Johanna was getting mad, "you do not get to talk about my son like that Anne, yes I was upset as well, and yes it came as a shock, but my son is finally happy, and yours is as well, and if that isn't more important than whatever the outside world is going to think then you need to rethink your priorities".

"But, the bible-"

"Cut the crap", Johanna said, "you aren't even religious".

Anne wiped a tear away, "but it's dangerous, I don't wanna see my baby get beat up".

"They're careful Anne, they're smart boys, and sure, I worry about them too, it's a dangerous world out there, especially for, you know, but I believe in them and they'll manage to get by", she said, "now go give your son a hug". Was all she said before she hung up.

Anne sighed and walked back into the living room. "You really mean it?" She asked.

Harry nodded.

"And this isn't just some teenage rebellion?"

"No, mom, I've known since I was 10".

Anne gulped, "I- this is difficult for me Harry, you have to understand that".

"I do", Harry nodded, "I know it's hard, and I won't, you know, bring my boyfriend over or anything if you don't want to see it".

"I would like you to invite Louis over for dinner", she said.

Harry stared at her.

"But no kissing or anything like that".

Harry nodded quickly, "I promise". He said as he ran to the phone.

That night Louis walked in, dressed in actual dress pants and a nice blouse. He looked amazing, and if Harry wasn't so nervous he probably would've jumped him. The beginning of the dinner was awkward, both boys realised that this was extremely hard for Anne, that the thought of Harry being gay hadn't even crossed her mind.

"Mommy", Harry interrupted her, "it's just Louis, you've talked to him before, just act normal, he hasn't changed". He said.

After that it ran a little smoother and at the end of the night there were genuine smiles and laughter.

"Thank you for the lovely dinner, Anne, it was delicious", Louis said.

Anne just smiled and nodded.

"Can we take a walk mom? I promise I'll be back at 10", Harry asked.

"Uhm, yea, yea honey, sure", she said, still looking at Louis, as Harry was putting on his shoes she walked over to him, "I'm glad it's you, you know", she said, "I said some nasty stuff on the phone and I'm sorry, I know you'll be an amazing partner, you've always been an amazing friend". She said softly.

Louis hugged her.

As Harry came back, he grabbed Louis' hand and dragged them out the door, Louis lighting a cigarette as soon as they got outside.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever had to do", he said.

Harry laughed and nodded, "tell me about it".

Louis looked around and upon seeing no one, he grabbed Harry by the waist and kissed him deeply, pressing his thumb to Harry's, he whispered a soft 'I love you'. Harry wrapped his arms around his waist, and there they stood, just holding each other. They walked to their tree and just sat there, talking about anything and everything, kissing each other in between stories. Harry has never been happier in his entire life.

10pm came sooner than expected, and as Harry walked back inside, he saw his mom sitting on the couch, motioning for him to do the same.

"I'm really proud of you, love", she said, "I know I was harsh this morning, and I still don't fully understand this. But I talked to Johanna, and I saw you two together, and you looked so happy and so in love, like your father and I used to look at each other, and it was a beautiful thing to see honey".

Harry wiped his eyes, "yea?" He asked.

She nodded, "and I already told him, but I'm really happy you chose Louis, he's a good boy, he'll treat you well, but you let me know if he doesn't alright?"

He chuckled, "I will mommy".

She pulled her son into a hug, "I love you Harry, and I'll never stop loving you, no matter what, and I hope you're happy, and will stay happy like this". She whispered.

"And I love you mom", he said while pulling away and squeezing her shoulders, "thank you for trying, I know it's hard for you, but you did amazing tonight, and it's only going to get better from here on".