Thirty-Nine.

Houston, Texas

After hours of sitting in the hospital, Meek finally got word on what was going on with Nicki. Apparently, her body had gone into shock since she had the stomach flu. They were going to give her medicine and release her in a few more hours.

"Thank you for bringing me," Nicki said, holding Meek's hand.

"Anything for you. How you feel, baby?" He asked.

She smiled a little. "I feel fine. My voice is just gone, that's all."

He nodded and leaned over, trying to kiss her. She moved back, looking at him, confused.

"I'm sick. You're gonna end up sick," she said.

"Oh yeah," he chuckled.

He pecked her cheek and then sat back.

"When all of this shit pass with basketball and college and shit, we finally gonna be able to get back together and start our own family and shit," he told her.

She sighed a little, playing with her fingers.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Why you doing all of that?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I just-. I don't know."

She looked at him and laid her head against the pillow. He looked at her, then sighed, looking away.

"I'm thinking about moving to Paris," she told him.

"Paris?" He frowned. "You don't even speak French, Nic."

She rolled her eyes. "I actually do speak French. All of my biggest modeling opportunities are out there, Meek. I was thinking about starting my own fashion line too, that's why I've been so busy. I have a chance to open multiple stores out in France."

"Aight, that's wonderful," Meek said.

"Meek, don't do that," she sighed.

He licked his lips. "Do what?"

"That. That thing you're doing. Like you're upset with me," she said.

"Nic, I'm not upset with you. I'm happy for you. Go ahead and live your life, get your money, baby. I'm not stopping you."

She looked at him. "Then why are you talking like that? Your tone..."

"I just... I thought we was gone work on our relationship and spend our lives together. I can't really imagine my life without you, but I guess it's whatever now," he said, letting her hand go.

He pulled out his phone and unlocked it. Nicki watched him for a few minutes before turning over with her back facing him. A few tears fell and she wiped them, closing her eyes.

She soon fell asleep and Meek just sat there for hours, scrolling through Instagram for no apparent reason.

A doctor walked in and looked at them.

"Here are Onika's release papers. She can sign those and then she'll be free to go," he said.

Meek nodded as the doctor walked out. He woke Nicki up and she signed the papers. Getting dressed, Nicki put on her shoes and then they walked out. They turned the papers in, then left. Meek drove to CVS to get Nicki more medicine for the stomach flu and then they went back to her house. For the rest of the day, Meek stayed in the guest bedroom.

--

"He's mad at me," Nicki sighed, picking the pepperoni off of her pizza.

"Why?" Candi asked on the other side of the phone.

Nicki put the pizza down. "I told him about me moving to Paris. He doesn't want me to leave, but he said he's not stopping me."

"He can't get mad at that. You have once in a lifetime opportunities waiting for you out in Paris. What's his problem?"

"He hasn't talked to me since we left the hospital, Candi. I'm so hurt. I don't know how to feel. I want to cry but I want to punch him."

Candi laughed a little. "Well maybe your cycle is coming."

"It's supposed to come in like three days. That's not the point, though. He's in love with me," Nicki said, putting her phone on speaker as she left the table.

"That's good, though, right?" Candi asked.

Nicki huffed. "I don't really feel the same anymore. I don't know how to tell him. I don't want to break his heart. I'm just not in love anymore."

"Damn, that's how you feel?"

She turned around with wide eyes.

"Meek, I didn't-."

"Nah, it's good. I'm about to head back to LA."

He walked off and Nicki sighed.

"Candi, I'll call you back later."

She hung up and went upstairs, seeing Meek gathering his things. She closed the door and sighed.

"Meek, please don't be mad at me," she said.

"I'm chilling. Watch out."

Nicki shook her head. "No. Don't leave, Meek. I'm sorry. Please don't leave."

"Why you ain't tell me from the jump that you wasn't in love no more? You got me wasting my time tryna make shit right with you."

"I'm sorry," she said, a few tears falling.

He shook his head.

"I got you this. I was gonna give it to you on our date, but I guess that's dead."

He tossed a box on her bed and moved her out the way, walking out. She grabbed his arm.

"No. Please. Please stay. I'm sorry."

"Move, Onika. I'm done wasting my time on you. You should've told me how you felt. I would've been left. I kept asking you wassup with us and you couldn't give me an answer."

She started crying. "I'm sorry! Don't leave me, Meek, please!"

"Bye."

He pushed her off and went down the stairs.

"Rihmeek! Please!" She cried.

He clenched his jaw and walked out of the house, slamming the door. Nicki started crying hard, sitting on the floor. She sat there for what seemed like hours before finally getting up, going into her bedroom. She looked at her bed, seeing the box. Wiping her eyes, she sat down and opened the box. Inside was a necklace, a white rose, and a note. She smiled a little as her tears fell again.

Picking up the note, she started reading it.

"Dear, baby girl

I know we not in the best place right now as far as our relationship goes, but I want you to know that I love you with every bone in my body. I'm willing to work on us again. I want to make time for us. Work shouldn't overshadow our love for each other.

I know I said this shit a million times, but you the girl of my dreams, the love of my life, my everything. I'm so in love with you. I've never felt like this before. I wanna take you on dates. I wanna travel with you. I wanna marry you and build a family. I wanna grow old with you.

Onika Tanya Maraj, I love you to the moon and back. Please make me happy again by becoming my wife...

At the bottom of the note, a new engagement ring was taped to it. Nicki started crying harder, feeling her world around her crumble.

--
aww the last chapter is coming
chay 🍍