Home

Evangeline looked around wearily as they walked down the bustling streets of Ascendant.

Vendor's booths lined the sides, draped in silks and cottons and furs; made of pine and cedar, filling the air with the smell, mixed with that of spices and cooking bison.

Children of red and silver blood ran through the streets, playing in tandem with one another, laughing delightedly and rushing past passerbys, Evangeline one of them, Elane on her arm.

She had been convinced by her love to change into simpler, less imposing attire; peasant clothes. The tight leather leggings she hardly minded: they reminded her of a training suit.

The scratchy cotton shirt and wooly vest she could have done happily without.

Elane too had traded her long black gossamer gown for one of simple cloth, a dull gray in hue. But, as always, Elane shone like the moon regardless.

Her copper hair tumbled in waves down her neck and curled around her shoulder blades, sparking in the sunshine, and contrasting magnificently with her flawlessly fair skin. She glanced over at Evangeline, smiling wistfully and taking her arm.

On reflex, although she wanted nothing more than to touch her, Evangeline drew her hand away, glancing around cautiously.

Elane shook her head, sighing and reaching up, cupping Evangeline's cheek in her hand. Eve looked bewildered at first as she turned to look at Elane, before she remembered where she was. What the whole point of coming had been. She placed her hand atop Elane's, allowing a small smile to grace her lips as she visually relaxed.

These morning walks were good. They were helpful. They showed Eve that things were different now, that it was alright that she was different. They continued to walk through the market, past the many townhomes built into the mountain side, and chisled out of marble. They could see the premier's house atop the peak of Ascendant, looking down on the capital city. Since arriving, they hadn't made their presence know to Davidson or his husband, as Evangeline was hesitant to do so.

Before, it made her heart ache to see how happy they were. So blatant in their love, unafraid of other's perceptions. She had longed for that. That was why, after long deliberation, and threat to her love's safety, they had fled during the final battle, bound for the Free Republic of Montfort.

Here, they were learning, that unlike Norta, here they could be themselves, and love one another openly and whole heartedly.

No brothers, no false marriages, no ignorant and manipulate parents. Just Evangeline and Elane. Elane and Evangeline.

Of course they'd had to change their names once they'd arrived, wanting to completely detach themselves from Norta and their past there.

They were now Evangeline and Elane Amaryllis.

Eve twisted the simple silver band on her finger, a habit she had developed. As soon as they had set foot on Montfortian land, she had used her ability to craft the pair, the other adorning Elane's dainty finger.

They walked back through Ascendant, through the market and out of town, into the path leading to the sprawling green farmlands below, surrounded by tall cedar trees.

And there, just at the edge, was their new home. They had used the last of the Samos fortune, of which Eve had taken with them during their escape. It was a cozy home built of sturdy logs, nestled in a cresent of fields, surrounded by forest.

It was beautiful and earthy, to appease Elane, and secluded to appease Evangeline. They had been working together to farm the land, although it was new to both of them. Elane was in charge of maintaining the garden, and Eve was in charge of manipulating the tractor and mower to plow the field and mow the lawn.

It was hard, laborious work, but so far they had managed fine. Elane reminded her wife every time she was frustrated, that they could sell the crops and make a living, after a while.

Eve would sigh, and agree, relaxing a bit in the way she only could with Elane around.

They neared the farm, hand in hand as they decended the hill, down the path, and to their little stretch of land.

"Home, sweet home." Elane sighed, leaning against Eve with her chin resting in the crook of her neck.

Eve smiled back. "Yeah.. home."