Decision

“Jonathan Lee Dennis! Get out of your room this instant!” Mother Dennis shouts and bangs on the door of her 8th grade son. “Come on baby! I’mma break this damn door down!” Jonathan hasn’t left his room in two days. His mother was devastated; he missed multiple meals and probably hasn’t showered yet. “Johnny please!” She shook the doorknob, but it didn’t work. She went into full on mother mode and broke the door open to her son’s room. The sight was terrible. “Oh no! Jennifer! Call the hospital! Please!” His mother laid him in her lap. She rubbed his soft brown hair as they waited for an ambulance. “Oh baby, why?” She stared at her unconscious son.

Later on at the hospital the doctors explained to Jonathan’s mother that he didn’t have enough nutrients and passed out from the lack of them.

Jonathan wasn’t mad about passing out.

He was mad because he didn’t look any different after starving himself.

The same doctor as before frowns at his patient, “We’ll have to run more tests Mr. Dennis. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright. If it’s going to help me get better. I’ll do as many tests as I can,” Delirious states.

After the doctor leaves for a bit Jonathan decides to brew up a conversation with Luke, “So, what happened with Evan last night?” Luke sighs like he just watched a dog get shot, “He… he got drunk, because he was sad…” he honestly answers. Jonathan frowns, “What? Why was he sad?” Luke bites his lips; Evan’s not gonna fucking do it. “Because you went on a date,” CaRtOoNz admits in a rush. The eyebrows furrow on the patient, “Why would he be sad I went on a… oh. Does he…?” The clown suddenly goes quiet from nervousness. Luke then nods to Delirious’s question, “Very much.” Jonathan nearly screams. He was stuck between two men now. What the hell is he supposed to do without breaking someone’s heart?

Well Weston did break your heart, get him back!

Yeah! Evan’s a sweetheart!

But Jonathan doesn’t fight fire with fire.

Who gives a shit! Evan’s the one! Evan cares more!

Jonathan smiles as he realizes his new decision. The blue eyes slowly find the brown eyes of his friend. “What?” The bearded man questions. Delirious smiles, “I think I like Evan.”

“More than Weston?”

“Yes!” Delirious answers and his heart beats loud in his ears. His cheeks turn a bright red and his eyes sparkle. Just like a miracle a nurse comes in, “You’ve got a visitor Mr. Dennis.” It’s gonna be Vanoss! That dream crashes when Weston appears with a handful of roses and a sideways smile plastered on his face.

His head pounds as he makes his way down the steps. He looks around for Delirious or CaRtOoNz, but neither of them seem to be around. Evan sighs and rubs his head as he makes his way to the kitchen for a glass of water. A note on the counter catches his eyes. He grabs it and starts scanning the scribbled words of Luke:
Hey Evan! Hope you made up from your drinking yesterday! You passed out and cut your arm open on the coffee table. Delirious wrapped you up and carried you up to bed. I had to take him to the hospital, because his head is starting to act up again. You’re more than welcome to come and visit! I’m pretty sure Delirious would want you to! ;)
- Your’s Truly, CaRtOoNz
Evan smiles at the parts about Jonathan. A warm feeling spreads through his body like jam. The feeling turns cold when he remembers why he passed out last night. He vaguely remembers seeing Delirious and Weston… making out. Vanoss groans and tears threaten his brown eyes. He shakingly sighs and shakes his head, “I’m such a fucking drama queen.” He laughs and wipes his tears away. Maybe it’d be best for him to stay away from Delirious for a while. He should go back to Canada and stay out of contact until he gets over his stupid crush on the clown. The owl searches on his phone for the earliest train ride back to Toronto. Before going to pack he writes a note to his friends:
I did make up! Thanks Delirious! I actually need to go back to Canada for a little while. So, I’m getting on a train that’s leaving at 5:00. I’ll try and visit again! Thanks for having me, and I hope you get better Delirious! Text me! Both of you! :)
- The Owl
P.S I hope you and Weston last forever…
Evan sniffs and runs upstairs for his stuff.

"Okay Mr. Dennis! Your tests are back! And we know the problem. It’s not permanent, but you’ll need glasses until we call you back for another check up, alright?”

“Oh...okay?” Jonathan turns to Luke and then back at the doctor. He didn’t make any contact at all with Weston. Except for when he hugged him and grabbed the flowers. Jonathan had his mind made up; he wants to be with Evan.

“So, for now you’ll wait until your eye doctor calls you in to pick frames and they’ll re-test you for the prescription you’ll need,” the doctor explains and starts to walk out, but he stops, “You can leave by the way.” Jonathan whips his attention toward Luke and he nearly jumps out of the bed. They rush home to check on Evan. Weston decides to tag along.

Delirious is the first to barge in, “Vanoss?! We’re home!” Luke runs upstairs to check. Delirious heavily sighs and looks everywhere downstairs. Weston tags behind. While they search in the bathroom downstairs, Weston decides it’s a good idea to talk about last night, “So, are we gonna go on another date? I mean, that kiss was like a “yes” in my book.” Jonathan turns to Weston, agitation burns in his blood, “No, Weston, we will not go on another date.”

“But I love you Jonathan Dennis.”

Jonathan scoffs, “You’re such a big fat liar!” Before Weston can react, Luke runs down the stairs. Delirious jogs out of the bathroom, “Was he upstairs?”

“No! All of his stuff is gone too!”

Every bone and feeling seems to shatter in Delirious, “What?!” Luke frantically looks for any other clue downstairs. He runs back to his note he left Evan and finds the note from the owl. He reads it quickly and gasps. Jonathan speeds up beside him, “What is it?”

“He’s getting on a train at 5 for Toronto!”

Adrenaline rushes through the clown as he runs out to Luke’s care; oblivious to his concussion. “Come on! We need to go get him! I need to get him!” Delirious finally says and Weston final-fucking-ly gets the hint that Jonathan has chosen Vanoss. The man runs off and doesn’t look back. His heart is just as broken as Jonathan’s was all those years ago.

Luke starts up his truck and looks at the time. “It’s 4:00! We need to fuckin’ book it to get to Evan in time!” Jonathan digs his nails into his thighs, “Then let’s book it. I’m not letting him go. Even if it kills me.”
***