Chapter 1: The monthly raid.

(slightly Edited 3/June/2021)

Hiccup's P.O.V

I yawn as I push myself up in bed, blinking in the low light as I try to register the present and not the dream I'd just woke up from. Yet, my mind reflects back to the view of my home in the night sky.

I'd witnessed the sight once for real, a year or so ago, as I was coming back from a fishing trip. Though, of course, I had gotten bored and had started to write in my journal.

This, is Berk. I'd wrote. Underlined Berk to show the significance.
I remember looking up and noticing that it was a bit misty, or foggy I guess, signifying the cold weather. I remember the boat picking up a bit of speed and the fog moving aside.

I remember how much I jumped when a wave crashed by, fading away to show the rocky island of Berk being significantly closer. I must have been lost in thought. Thinking about what, exactly, I would say if they ask for Berk's location.

It's twelve days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death.

I recall sailing between the big statues with fires burning in their mouths and looking up at them in awe. They were statues designed to scare off the enemy. It must have been hard to carve them.

Shaking my head, I come back to the present as I swing my legs over the side of my bed and straining my ears to listen to the outside noises.
Its located solidly on the meridian of misery.
I pull on my furry vest that stops at my waist.

I remember a fair amount of time later gazing up at the village. First spotting the sheep farm, then my gaze moving across the wooden structures that we lived in. I still remember and agree with my words, even if it was a month ago.

My village. In a word, sturdy. It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new!

We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets.

I am once again snapped out of my thoughts as I hear loud commotion from outside. I finish slipping on my vest and run downstairs.
That was all that I had written in my journal that day, about Berk that is. I think once more about my home as I trudge slowly up towards the front door.

The only problems are the pests.

You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have....

I pull open the front door but slam it shut to protect myself from hot dragon fire.
"Dragons!" I say, pressing my back up against the door wide wide eyes. Just as I thought. Another raid.

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings.....We have, stubbornness issues.
I run outside quickly, looking behind me briefly at my house that is still on fire. In fact, many houses are on fire and vicious battles between viking and dragons are commencing everywhere, with Vikings leaping up onto dragons as they snatch livestock in the result to be thrown off.

I run, on my way, as I look around at all the commotion. A smile brings its way onto my face because I made it out successfully, unlike last time. I'm out and I'm ready.

My name's Hiccup.
I am stopped short by a Viking falling in front of me, scaring the life out of me. I dodge a Viking running my way and the Viking that fell grabs his axe before charging forwards towards his victim, another dragon.

Great name, I know!

But it's not the worst.
I duck under two Vikings carrying a log as I run.

I look behind me after hearing commotion: a Viking had ran into the Viking carrying the back end of the log, causing him to drop it.

Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls.
I walk backwards, trying to make myself small. I get bumped and barged past by a few Vikings with the intent to go and kill a dragon.