~1~

Today I woke up and thought... 'There's nobody here but me.'
_______________________________

Eiji felt his pulse quicken, was he really going to do this? Yes, he was. His long strides took him forward, faster. It wasn't the first time Eiji had seen him, the man with the messy blond hair and the eyes that glowed envy green. Eiji wasn't sure when he had become fascinated with him, perhaps it was around the same time that Eiji had realised his life was an ugly sort of lonely. The ugly lonely you feel without friends, without family, without even the simply company of a pet.

Come on, Eiji encouraged himself, you want a friend? Go get one. Go say hi, what is there to lose? He shook his head suddenly, and stopped. There was plenty to lose, Eiji just wasn't sure of what that 'plenty' was yet. He sighed, defeated. The man had vanished, disappearing during Eiji's internal struggle. "Stupid," Eiji hummed, "Stupid, stupid, stupid." He then turned, and left.

When Eiji wasn't grocery shopping, filling his car with gas, or wandering aimlessly- he was at home. Alone. Eiji would have loved for any kind of companionship- ever since he was five, he had wanted a dog. A small one, with fluffy white fur and a cute pink tongue. He had dreamed of taking it for walks, and playing ball. But dreams are called dreams for a reason. Eiji simply didn't have the money to take care of an animal.

He yawned and collapsed onto the thin mattress that made up his bed, his pillow abandoned on the floor with his sheets dangerously close to joining. Today was one of those days when the bed wasn't made. Eiji angrily scrunched his eyes shut, before softening his expression. There was always tomorrow.

Maybe he had fallen asleep, he wasn't sure- but if he had, the ringing of his mobile phone sure had done a good job at waking him up. Eiji was on that thing in a second, "Hello," he breathed, "This is Eiji."

"We know, kid." The voice spoke in a rash and raspy tone, no games were being playing here. "Who are you?"

Eiji blinked slowly, "Um.. I'm Eiji? You just-"

"Who are you really?" The voice snapped, "What's your business with the boss?"

"The boss? I don't-"

"Don't screw with us, kid! Follow Ash again, and your ass is as good as dead!"

And with that, the line became dead. "How did they get my number?" Eiji puzzled, "Was that a prank?" He blew out his cheeks, grumbling under his breath, "Also I'm not a kid, I'm 19.."

With a sudden buzz, Eiji's phone came to life again- it's ringing filling the otherwise silent house. He was hesitant this time, but answered regardless. "Hello?" He spoke cautiously.

"Eiji! How are things at the house?"

Eiji sighed of relief, "Everything's fine Mum, I'm looking after your plants and keeping all the rooms clean like you left them."

"Good boy," Eiji could hear the happiness in his mother's voice, "Kyle and I, we're having a wonderful time here- oh, I'm sorry we increased the time of the trip, but we'll be back soon, baby. Only three more months."

"Don't worry, I'm used to it by now- you enjoy your trip!" Eiji was glad his mother wasn't there to see him.

"Will do, sweet cakes. I have to go now, Kyle is expecting me. I'll ring you later!"

Eiji wasn't given time to say goodbye before the line once again went dead. He sighed, his mother hadn't called him in two months, how long would it be this time until the next call?

Deciding not to think about it, Eiji stumbled back into bed. With a heave, the covers were pulled over him- hiding all but his watery eyes. Outside, the world had faded black, the only light provided by a blanket of stars and a moon shying behind clouds.

He had a lot to think about that night. Who had called him, and who was Ash? Eiji didn't ask the question of whether his mother would be calling back or not.

_____________