~11~

I watched them, saw their faces contort with dread and thought... thank god I'm not you.
______________________________________________________________

So close. Too close. Waaaay too close.

In that moment, Eiji could have sworn everything happened in slow motion. Expensive Car number 7 found it's tires facing towards the sky and it's roof scraping, sending sparks flying, along the ground. If Shorter's old van had been a meter or so to the right, the place were Expensive Car number 7 had been only moments ago- they too might have lost control and slammed into oncoming traffic.

Shorter seemed to pay little attention to the accident, instead choosing to roost forward even faster- which quite frankly, did not thrill Eiji. He hoped dearly that no one got too seriously injured from the crash.

"What do you mean you don't remember any of us?!" Shorter hissed, his eyes glued to the road with an such intense focus, Eiji felt his own back straightening in attention.

"I mean exactly what I said," Ash's face was a sad mix between frustration and guilt, like some part of him knew he should remember his rescuers, "I don't know a single face in this car."

"How..." Eiji clenched his fists, "How is that possible?! Shorter and Skipper, everyone who helped and risked their lives... they're your friends, Ash! How could you forget them? And even me... I may have only been roped into this but.. how could you forget me?.."

The lynx turned away, "... I don't know. I really don't."

Suddenly, the van lurched forward so hard if it weren't for the seatbelts that kept them in place, Shorter and Skipper would have been crashing through the glass of the front window. Eiji gasped, the wind have been knocked out of him. In front of the halted vehicle stood an old women, shaking in her boots, eyes wide as the moon. It didn't take long for her to snap out of it, grab her dropped shopping bags and bolt surprising fast to the safety of the other side of the road.

Shorter was quick to stomp on the gas- though their pursuers were even quicker in catching up. "Keep your heads down!" Barked Shorter who had become painfully aware of the guns aimed at them from the tailing vehicles.

Twing.

Pop.

A hit.

Skipper. Skipper had been hit.

The young kid howled in pain from somewhere in the front that Eiji couldn't see. He would have lifted his head, worried for his friend but a gentle but stern hand squeezing his shoulder stopped him. "Ash..." Eiji felt tears sting the corners of his eyes, Ash shook his head slowly, motioning for the both of them to keep down. He really doesn't remember...

"I'm... I'm okay!" It was clear that even those words were a struggle for Skipper,who gulped his words through tears. Shorter cursed all sorts of pretty words after that, speeding up even more.

Outside, the world was a racing blur of grey streets and grey skies. Skipper's quiet sobbing and uneven breathing was the only noise to fill the van as Shorter drove out of range of the enemy's gunfire. Regardless, everyone kept their heads low and mouths shut, as if a single whisper might bring back an onslaught of viscous hellfire.

It was Shorter who was the first to speak up, breaking the sort of trance that held the others tight- "Eiji, time for part two of the plan. We were prepared for this to happen , remember? Get ready."

Eiji gulped, his voice barely a whisper, "I thought... I thought that was only a last resort."

"Please." Was all Shorter said In reply.

...

Shorter's dusty and shit stained van came to a stop outside a modest house located just at the edge of the city. "I have to get Skipper to a hospital," He explained as Eiji opened his door with great hesitation, "I don't know what will happen after that. Just... stay here. With Ash. It's safe, they don't know about this place.. there's food in the fridge, a change of clothes for you both and some magazines. Whatever you do, stay away from technology, that'll get you found out."

When Eiji stepped out from inside the van, he saw many things and said nothing. The air was cold. The sky was an empty grey. The lawn was stiff dirt. There stood a small house with chipping paint, no neighbours to fill the empty space that suffocated it, and a bitter cry for love through its clear abandonment.

"This is all a little much for me," he began, "So I don't really know what to tell you, Shorter. But right now, Skipper needs help- so I'll wait right here with Ash for you to return. We'll sort something out, I just know it."

The curve that dragged Shorter's lips down into a tight frown lightened a little at these words, "Mhm. Thank you Eiji, stay safe and I'll be back for you lot. I promise, Skipper and I both. I owe you big time."

And with Ash out of the car, Shorter sped off towards the nearest hospital.

"I never agreed to this, you know..." Ash spoke in a sort of grumble.

"Too bad, I didn't exactly sign up to be here either..." Eiji sighed, if I stay with them, will I find out more about you, Mum? What have you been hiding?

Once inside the sham of a house, Eiji and Ash began to explore. Unsurprisingly, the house was less than impressive, sporting a blanket of dust on every piece of ugly 80's furniture, a broken back window and probably some kind of evil boogie monster in the basement (Ash and Eiji both of which being unwilling to confirm.)

Eiji scratched his head, finding a seat on a bright red lounge that had been stained with something suspicious. He had so many questions for Ash he didn't even know where to begin- so Ash spoke for him.

"So, it's just us here, alone huh." Ash yawned from his own bright red lounge across from Eiji.

"Yup." Eiji fiddled with his hair, he was exhausted and frustrated. Ash's face bore a sneaky kind of smirk, and with a wink and a single word, he had added a 'I feel like I am about to have a heart attack' to Eiji's list.

"Good ;)"

__________________________________________________

Ahhhh fooooook. This took way too long to get out MMM. Sorry.
I know where I want this to go, so I just hope it works. Sorry if the plot is a lil messy.

As always, thank you for the comments and votes- I always read every comment even if I don't always reply! 💜

4k views holy crap. The last time I got this many views on an fic it was on sonic the hedgehog :')

Here have a cute picture of a cat