Part 31 - Stall, Stall, Stall!

*Okay, here's the thing. I'm changing the climax of the movie drastically. I'm sorry, but the girls are the main characters here. I'm giving them more to do than just trip the two henchmen while the boys chase after the main baddie. That's why Steph and Matt had to swim out of the mine rather than just be lifted up in a barrel. I wanted these guys to work for it. So I'm also giving Cristina and Nate more to do by holding up the wedding. In short, yes, I know this scene wasn't in the movie. I made it up for my own climax.*

Nate had managed to relocate the wig that Matt gave to Cristina. She put it on and changed into Stephanie's long white nightgown. "How do I look?" She asked. 

"Perfect... Princess Stephanie." He chuckled. Cristina did too. They took a strange, childlike joy in doing this; as if they were no more than teenagers pulling pranks on another friend. 

The two troublemakers were meant for each other. Cristina pulled Nate closer to her by pulling on his collar (Nate had removed his armored disguise, and was now in his usual red clothes, though he wasn't wearing his crown,) and kissed him. They separated, giggling.  

"Do think we're enjoying this too much?" Asked Cristina. 

"No possible way." He said. "Ready?"

"Ready." 

Meanwhile, Preminger was checking in on his fiancé. Because the wedding was so rushed, the castle staff hadn't even bothered to make a new wedding dress. Instead the queen was wearing one of her cream-colored gowns, and the castle staff had given her a veil to put over her face. They decided to use the supplies from what would have been Stephanie's wedding, much to the queen's discomfort. 

"Look at you..." He said. The queen turned to him to see him staring at himself in the mirror. "Looking at me. Wonderful." He then turned to the Queen. 

"And you look beautiful as well, your highness." He said. 

"Thank you." She stepped off the stand where the ladies were tending to her. "If you don't mind, I'd like to take a bit more time to mourn before the ceremony." 

Preminger was getting impatient, but he had to remind himself to play nice. "Your highness, I understand that you're in pain, but we must not delay for any longer. If we do not get this done as soon as possible, it may affect everyone in the kingdom."

The queen sighed. "I understand, but I-" 

Nate and Cristina nodded in unison. He knocked at the door, having listened in. Cristina hid behind the door so that when it opened, she would be concealed behind it. 

Preminger opened the door. He looked genuinely shocked. "King Nathan! What are you still doing here?" 

"I convinced my ambassador, Josh to let me stay for the wedding." He said. "He wanted us to leave, but I had to tie up loose ends. Your highness, I am deeply sorrowful about the death of the princess." Nate actually felt genuinely sorrowful. Even though he ever MET Stephanie, he did feel upset about her death, especially since she and Cristina seemed to be so close. "I understand that I am no longer.... needed for the kingdom's restoration. It seems as if you've found a fine man who can help in that department." He motioned to Preminger. 

"Yes, she has. Now, if you'll excuse us-"

Nate cut him off. "HOWEVER, to ease the tension between our kingdoms, I'd like to extend a formal trade agreement. It would be preferable if we did this before the wedding, so that you may start working with it as soon as the wedding is over." Nate held his breath. So did Cristina. 

"Oh, thank you, King Nathan." The queen said. "Preminger, I'm going to go handle this. Please, wait a little longer?" 

He gritted his teeth. "Of course, my queen." He could wait. He had a whole life of kingship ahead of him. What was another few minutes? Besides, now he had a trade agreement with King Nathan's kingdom. Already off to a good start. Nathan and the queen left the room as she led him to the throne room, where she preferred to do business.