Chapter 46

I blink away the sleep in my eyes, momentarily confused by the white surrounding me. I sit up, rubbing at my eyes and a quick look around the room causes last night's events to become fresh in my mind.

Skylar.

Skylar standing on the edge of the building.

Skylar passing out.

Skylar lying in the hospital bed.

I turn to my left and my memories are confirmed when I see her there; eyes closed, chest rising and falling slowly, the morning sun beaming through the window across the room and illuminating her pale skin. My eyes run across the length of her petite body and I find our hands still intertwined with each other.

I place my other hand on top of it and lean forward in my chair, watching her as she breathes peacefully. I reach forward to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, my fingers lightly brushing against her cheekbones.

I smile and can't help but remember how much I've always loved seeing Skylar asleep. I know, I sound like Edward Cullen and it may seem a little creepy, but if you've seen the never ending tension always tucked behind Skylar's eyes and the tiredness that always layered them and the way her eyebrows were always a little pulled together... then you'd be in love with the serene way Skylar sleeps too. Because seeing someone who always seems to be working their muscles, physically and mentally, finally at peace... it puts you at peace as well.

I pick up my phone resting on the little bedside table and find an unread message from Nash. I press on the message icon before reading the text,

Went down to the cafe for breakfast. Well bring u back some food. If its possible try not to break Skys hand while were gone

I roll my eyes at the text and look around at the hospital room. There are rows upon rows of flowers of all types and colors lining the walls and helium balloons of different Disney characters floating in the air. Tied to the edge of the bed is a single blue, rubber balloon covered in little messages from all of us. The fam had went all out last night and even had to make two trips to and from the van before they got everything up. It was a good thing too. With all the depressing things going down, they needed something to get excited over.

At 2 in the morning, while all of the guys were scattered around the room watching a movie on the flat screen tv hovering in the ceiling corner, I had left the hospital to attain my own bouquet of flowers and balloons for her.

I look over at Sky, stroking her hand with my thumb, and rest my chin on the edge of the bed. The doctor had said that she should be awake sometime today or tomorrow, though they couldn't be too sure; she's deprived herself of sleep and had taken a lot of drugs and alcohol the past couple days and the whole about to take her own life thing had been a little overwhelming so there's a lot of factors to consider. For all we know she could be unconscious for a week.

"Hey, Sky..." I say quietly, "Look, I don't know if you can hear me, I mean for all I know I could be talking to myself right now and what I'm about to say is all just gonna go to waste, but... But if you do hear me I hope you know that I miss you."

I let out a little laugh, "It's only been about half a day but after all that's happened it feels like eternity." I look at her again and drop my gaze, "There are so many things I want to say that I don't think I'll ever have the balls to say to you when you're awake because you and those stupid eyes of yours that are a really pretty shade of blue are so fucking intimidating so I'm just going to say it now." I say, taking in a deep breath and exhaling loudly.

I look over at Sky, allowing myself to sink back into the emotions that I've drowned in last night and letting the thoughts that have overwhelmed me resurface in my mind and make its way out my mouth, "Alright, here goes... Skylar I've known you my whole life, okay? I know your favorite movies, your favorite books, I know what you like to eat during the middle of the day, I know what songs you like to listen to when we're lying in the park, I know what your voice sounds like when you get excited, hell I could even tell you right now that you're favorite color is orange - and not just any orange, you like the same vibrant orange of the sky when the sun's setting and the day's ending. And I can even tell you now that you've only ever told me that once, when we were 6 and we watched the sunset for the first time together, and I know it's still your favorite color because you still watch the sunset with that admiring look in your eyes.