3 // Euphonia

As soon as the door slammed, I sunk to the floor. All those years ago, I saved her. She has saved me countless times and stood up for me even more.
   It's what you do, a voice chimed in my head. You drive everyone away.
   "Do I?" I whispered aloud.
   I missed her already.
   I knew she was just trying to help... why was I so mad? It was one alliance, one I could spare, too.
   Her, I couldn't lose.
   "Rose!" I screamed, darting for the door. "Rose, come back! I'm sorry, it's not you!"
   I caught a flicker of her ponytail as she rounded a corner and took off after her.
   "Rose," I cried out, speeding up my pace. "I'm sorry! Please, let's talk."
   When I rounded the corner, she was frozen, her hands clenched by her side.  She didn't look at me.
   "There's nothing to talk about." She snapped. "I'm going to pick a room and retrieve my things."
   She made a move to continue on and I grabbed her arm. "Look at me, Rose. I don't want you to leave... please?"
   I hand to stick my fingers under her chin to tilt her face up to me. Her blue eyes were the color of a storm over the ocean.  Tears streaked her face, but she didn't attempt to wipe them away.
   My stomach dropped at the thought of her crying... because of me.
   "I... I have to go." She whispered, tearing herself away from me.
   I have to fix this...

   "This is an awful lot of work... are you sure you can get it done?" I asked, handing her back the pictures.
   "Of course, Euphonia!" Minnie, the head of uniform production and design, replied happily.
   "You're the best!" I laughed, my face a mask of smiles.
   "Well, on behalf of all soldiers, I say thank you for this. It's going to be a nice get away from our duties."
   I nodded and hurried off to clear gym of soldiers and equipment. This was going to be a long day...

   The hallways were now a crowd of happy men and women, discussing outfits and dates to the dance, I so sneakily prepared.
   The idea had sparked when I remembered the time I caught Rose dancing alone. It was beautiful... but I never asked about it. Not once.
   The idea of holding her close and possible talking to her made my heart flutter, she couldn't push me away in front of everyone.
   I had sent a small group of Rose's friends to keep her blind and occupied while I prepared everything. Hopefully, my idea would work.
   Her room still had her belongings in it when I got there. Her bed was made and the floor was spotless. I smiled to myself and got to work.
   First, I laid the packaged dress, which I had been informed that I wasn't allowed to open, on her bed. I placed a rose on top of that, one that she could easily tuck into her hair. Next, I placed a pair of sandals beside that, ones that had been given to me so long ago, but I never wore them.
   They would suit her better.
   I exited into my room through the conjoined door, and quickly proceeded to change into the outfit that had been made for me.
   It was classy.
   A yellow button up with a blue-black vest. Instead of a long tie, I had a bow, the same inky color as the vest. The pants were black and matched the shoes.
   I checked the time. Rose would be escorted back to her room in about five minutes. Which meant I should be gone by then. I let myself out of the room, suddenly excited.
   I had to win her back... make her happy.
   Rose... my Rose.