Meld

Disclaimer: Chapter 1

~:~:~:~:~

I had stayed the whole night, waiting for everyone to go home so I could help the remaining staff clean up. The night had gone flawlessly. Everyone had a good time, and everyone danced. I even got Sarek and the rest of the Council to dance. I shared a dance with my father, as well. I didn't have much to do, as the bar tender had cleaned most of it. There were a few minor things like forgotten gloves and things of the like. It only took me ten minutes to clean up after 500 people. The only person left was the DJ.

I sat down at one of the small tables we had set out and I sighed, placing my head in my hands. I was exhausted.

After my dance with Spock, he practically disappeared. But I'm not one to talk, as I basically did too. I sat at the bar and had another drink with my father, this one a little stronger, in the hopes of forgetting the ordeal a bit.

Unfortunately, I took one sip and felt too disgusted in myself to go on. So I just asked my father for my gloves from my bag and headed off into the crowd. Luckily, he knew not to pester me about the dance he just witnessed after sensing my emotions.

And then for the rest of the night, I was passed between every man in the room at least once that night including Sarek, Scotty, Chekov, Jim, Bones, Sulu, and-of course-my father. I was glad I wore my gloves.

It was a relief to sit down.

But the entire night, no matter who I was with or where I was, I couldn't get the dance I shared with him out of my mind.

And just remembering the kiss we shared made my mind go blank and my heart speed up.

Thinking about it now made my heart swell past the brink. I felt the tears well up once again.

"Amanda, please help me," I begged quietly, laying my head on my arms on the table. "I don't know what to do. Your son, he's-he's my best friend. He's everything to me, but he's leaving... and yet... tonight on the dance floor... I... Amanda, I love him. What do I do?"

The tears came freely now. I was crying freely, sobbing quietly, feeling lost and insecure.

"I wish you were here, Amanda... You were always so happy, and you always knew what to do... What to say... You just knew... I miss you so much... You would've gotten along so well with my mother, you know. You would've gotten her to laugh. I had never seen her laugh," I admitted. "I always wanted her to laugh for me, but she never did. But you would've gotten her to laugh. I know you would've."

"It is illogical to speak to the air as though it is the deceased," I heard from behind me.

"S-Spock!" I gasped, spinning to look at him. After I calmed down a bit I continued. "Perhaps it is not she, but... I miss her. I miss them. And I suppose I believed if anyone understood you, it'd be your mother... And I find that imagining she is with me in spirit and talking helps me feel... better."

"I see," he said after a moment. I nodded. I motioned for him to take a seat and he pulled one up.

"How much did you hear?"

"I saw you set your head down and heard the rest from there." I just nodded, not knowing what to say. I felt his eyes on me. Finally, I looked up to him.

"You don't love me back, do you?" I asked him quietly. "Not like that."

He just stood and held his hand out for me once again. This time, his palm was up. I took his hand quietly, painfully aware of my tear-stained face as he led me to the floor.