Chapter 24

** Danny's POV **

"So what brings you here, Dola," Julian asked as he handed me a beer and sat down across from me.

I sighed. "Well... Uh... So I came to a realization the other day... I... I just need to talk to someone about it," I said as I held on to the neck of my beer tightly.

His blue eyes soaked of concern as he looked back at me. "What's up man?"

I swallowed the spit gathering in my mouth and looked down at the beer. "I-I... Uh..."

"Seriously man, what's up? I've never seen you like this before. What realization did you come to," Julian pushed as he put his bottle down on the coffee table. His blue eyes were now a shade darker.

I ran a hand through my hair and sucked in a long breath. "Juliet... I-I," I stumbled upon my words. I had yet to admit it out loud, so I was nervous.

Julian's eyes widened, and they brightened. "What about her, Danny?"

I closed my eyes and took a second. "I want to marry her," I said and opened my eyes.

Julian was sitting there, looking at me with a shocked look. "I-I know we haven't been together long... but... I just... we've known each other for so long and... God, I've loved her for the past almost four years now... she's felt the same way the entire time." I sighed. "I-I... Jules... She's the one."

Julian's eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were dark again. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure. I've never been so sure in my life, Julian." I told him, it was like it was becoming hard to breathe. Now that is admitted it, it was time to put this plan in action.

Julian squinted his eyes at me. "You're kidding, right? I mean you two have been together for how long? 4 months maybe? What if she turns around and cheats on you like she did her ex? Huh? Danny, you'll be fucking crushed."

I shook my head. "Come on man. You know she did that because she was lonely, and he didn't treat her correctly," I defended. "I-I... I think it was love at first sight for both of us."

"She did that because she was lonely? Is that why you got her that dog for her birthday? So she'd stay at home and not be lonely? Danny, I can't let you make a mistake like this," he grumbled.

I let out a huff as I stood up from the couch. "You think this is a mistake? Julian, I love her. I love her with all my heart," I spat. "I wanted to tell you, my best friend, because I thought you finally came around to accepting it. I have no clue what the hell is up your ass, but you're gonna need to deal with it. You're the one who pushed me to ask her out in the first place. I-I... where the hell is this all coming from?"

"I thought it'd be a fling! I thought that you'd fucking come to your senses!"

I rolled my eyes. "What kind of a best friend are you? Like honestly, Julian? You're supposed to be supportive. I-I... I feel like I'm a broken record. I want you to try, try for my happiness, I mean what the fuck?"

Julian stood up and squinted at me again. "Get out of my house, Danny. I'm sick of telling you! You can't come back and whine to me when your heart is broken," Julian yelled. "I've already picked up broken pieces of you, and I'm not doing it again!"

"Gladly," I grumbled. "You need to fucking get your head out of your ass and be a real friend." I placed my beer on the table and made my way toward the door.

When I got to my car, I let out a huff. How could he do that? How could my best friend turn on me like that?

My chest got tight as I began driving. I'd never in a million years expected my best friend to turn on me like that. Especially when it was such a big thing for me.

It took my all to just admit it, and there he was making me feel like all my feelings were completely wrong.

When I got home, I cautiously walked into the house to make sure Juliet wasn't home. Nelson barking at me from his little pen proved that she wasn't yet.

I moved over and opened the door to the pen. "Hey Buddy," I mumbled as I lifted him up into my arms.

I hugged him tightly as I moved over toward the bedroom. I laid down and sat him on my chest, so his front legs were resting on my shoulders. "Do you want mommy and daddy to be together," I asked, looking into his brown eyes as my nose began to burn.

He just turned his head and gave me his big brown puppy dogs eyes. "Yeah?" I brought a hand up and rubbed it back and forth on the length of his body. "I do too." Tears began falling from my eyes.

I lightly shook as I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him to me tightly. He let out a little bark as he slid forward on my chest and began licking at my tears.

"I love ya buddy," I whispered as he laid his head down on my chest and pouted.

I scratched behind his ears and sniffled. "Will you be my best man if Jules really won't stand by me," I asked sadly.

He just cried as his brown eyes looked into mine. "Yeah? We could get you in a little tuxedo and we could watch mommy walk down the aisle together. She will be so beautiful," I whispered.

He just looked at me and playfully pawed at my face. "Yeah, I agree. It will be a great time," I mumbled and let out a yawn.

"Why don't we take a little nap? Mommy should be home soon," I said quietly.

He licked at my neck, then nuzzled his snout in the crook of my neck.

I put my hands on his back, holding him to me, and let sleep take me over.