Chapter 13

As much as my skin crawls to admit it; I've been taking Derek's advice to heart. I considered rebelling against it purely in spite of him but when weighing the pros and cons the value of my life outweighed the spirit of my vendetta. Another win for self-preservation! Besides I'm about ninety-nine percent positive by the way Derek spoke to me last week he'd kill me if I didn't listen to him; assuming Nathan doesn't get his greatest wish and successfully manages to put me six feet under first.

In practice, avoiding Nathan was about as difficult as trying to stay onto a bucking bull; nearly impossible if you didn't have the proper technique and enough brains to know to cling on for dear life. A professional might manage it for a while but unless an amateur had some serious beginner's luck on his side it was improbable he'd make it through unscathed much less in one piece. With the universe or whatever higher power constantly beating on my ass recently I severely doubted I'd be among the lucky few.  At the start it wasn't too difficult. The guy wasn't exactly known for being the sharpest tool in the shed which worked well for me. Alternate routes through the hallways, staying in groups and lingering in safe places like the library or by teachers had all kept me safe so far. It wasn't a bullet proof plan. Eventually, even someone as dim-witted as Nathan would catch on. It was a waiting game and my nerves were twitching in anticipation of a strike at any moment.

What I didn't expect was for Derek-fucking-Williams to be right by the blood thirsty wolf's side like it was super glued there. Before everything had started to go down hill-or rather plummet-Derek and Nathan's friendship didn't extend beyond the black wire fence outlining the perimeter of the football stadium. They would say hello to each other when they passed in the hallways but as far as I could tell that was the extent of their willing interaction. So the question was why were they acting like such pals now? After warning me to stay away from Nathan he chooses to run towards him with open arms? After his hostility towards Nathan they are closer than before?

And to add into the mixture of confusion I keep catching Derek staring at me. He never says anything and never smiles. He just stares until I catch him in the act. Then, with a red face he turns away, just for a little bit before focusing his attention on me again. I guess the entire shirt stripping fiasco in the janitor's closet should have been the first sign that Derek was a creep. I don't know how I missed it. 

My head is swimming with an endless stream of questions and as hard as I try to reach any answers I only come back with more questions.

It just didn't make any sense.

If there was one thing I did not like, other than the obvious you-know-who, it was not knowing something. It was like this burning sensation roaring underneath my skin yearning, no pleading, for relief. Answers are the only way I know I'll find peace. The more I roll the idea around in my head, pondering the possibilities, the more I understand I won't be able to get them on my own. I can't just sit around and hope that the answers will just fall neatly into my lap, organized by level of importance and alphabetized for my convenience. That just wasn't realistic. As much as I hate it I know what I need to do. What I have to do.  If he can't come to me, I'll have to approach the lion's den myself.

I lean back in my chair, the metal legs creaking underneath me while I rest my hand thoughtfully against my chin. The last thing I wanted to do was confront Derek in front of Nathan. If there was one thing I was sure about Derek it was that he'd keep this between us...well us and his mother apparently. Nathan, on the other hand, has loose lips and frankly I just don't like to breathe the same air as him. The last thing I want is for him to eavesdrop on our conversation or to speak to him in general. So how can I get Derek alone?

The bell shrills loudly, interrupting me from my thoughts. English, I groan internally. Mrs. Morris steps into the room shortly after the bell, closing the door behind her. "We're spending today's class time to get together into groups to work on the commentary project." She announces before settling into her chair. The classroom begins to stir with conversation and laughter as everyone joins their friends