xvi.

stanley

i reach towards the torah part of my bar mitzvah ceremony, nervously finishing a verse from a scroll. "...may'ansho sheh'la'zeh."

i glance up at my mom, who refuses to smile. at richie seated in the back, and then at the rabbi who nods. the doors open and everyone is unbothered and ignores it, but i couldn't. y/n.

rabbi whispered to me "go on." my eyes stayed glued y/n and i lost focus. "um, reflecting on what I just read, i like what it says about indifference. when you're a kid-" my eyes fall on the other empty seats next to richie and y/n which rattles me. the empty seats where my other friends should be.

"stanley." i shook away the voice of my probably disappointed father. "well, when you're a kid you think the universe revolves around you. that you'll always be protected and cared for. then one day something bad happens and you realize that's not true."

y/n gives me an encouraging look so i continue. "suns go out and animals go extinct and whole nations go crazy and kill a people they don't like and none of it seems to matter." she leans forwards and rests her arms on the booth in front of her.

"that's why our friends and faith and family are so important. we matter. even if, to the universe-" i look at y/n again as she helps me finish off. "-were too small to notice."

being done with the speech i wasn't sure what to do so i just stepped away from the podium and dropped the microphone. y/n and richie both stood up clapping and for the others, they were just shocked. a few of the other kids who i didn't know of slowly applauded and other adults had the mouth hung open.

my mom let out a smile and engulfed me into a hug. "i'm so proud of you stanley." she said softly which confused me. "mom, i just ruined my whole mitzvah. how could you be proud?"

she lowered herself to level with my height, "i'm proud because you did what you had to do and stood up for yourself. i knew this isn't what you always wanted." she stood up completely and soon richie and y/n were running up to us.

richie went in for many high fives then we both turned y/n. "congrats. even if it wasn't the traditional way for you to become a man, you'll always be mine." she bit her lip not realizing my mom was still in our presences until she made a noise.

y/n ran her hands through her hair awkwardly before sticking out her free hand. "i'm y/n. you must be stan's mom?" my mom shook her hand and nodded. "well mrs. uris. you raised a good kid."

her eyes started swelling with tears, "i did didn't i?" she quickly blinked them away. "i'll let you guys have a moment." and mom walked away.

"me too. i saw a pretty girl during your manly speech and you know i gotta go get some." richie pointed finger guns at us and strutted away.

"so. your man?" i questioned picking back up on her precious statement. "only if you want to be." she smirked, "well. y/n l/n would you like to be my girlfriend?" i asked hopefully.

"hmm." she furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head from side to side making my heart stop. "i'm kidding stanley uris. of course i'd love to be your girlfriend." she grabbed my face and planted a peck on my cheek.

richie came strolling back over to us with a blush on his cheeks. "something happen rich?" y/n teases poking him in the side, i saw my father out the corner of my eye talking to some other adults.

"hey i'll be back. don't make any moves on my girlfriend richie." y/n rolled eyes jokingly and gave my shoulder a small squeeze before i left.