13. "This really is the perfect place for a date."

The next day I go over to Josie's house to invite her to the fair. She says she can go, so we plan on heading there at 6:00. Josie is Ham's neighbor so I see her often. Scotty's heading to the fair with the sandlot boys. I know Benny's going to be there. Things have been weird between us lately. And that's all my fault. I caused the whole thing by being rude to him for no reason. I feel really bad, I'm just scared to tell him the real reason because he might think I like him. Which is true, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me back. I decide on wearing a blue short sleeve button up collared shirt, and a black skirt. I wear my wavy brown hair in a ponytail tied with a white ribbon. I apply a little lip gloss then head to the front door to put on my black and white saddle shoes.

"You look nice." Bill tells me looking up from his newspaper on the couch.

"Thanks." I smile. "Josie will be here soon."

"Okay." He nods. After a couple of minutes the doorbell rings.

"Hi." I smile opening the door for her.

"Hey!" She waves excitedly.

"Mom! I leaving!" I yell into my house.

"Okay honey, have fun!" She tells me from the kitchen. I close the door, saying one last goodbye then we head out.

"I've never been to the fair before." I tell Josie.

"Well, it's so fun! And really pretty at night." She tells me.

"Cool." I nod.

"It's the perfect place for a date." She tells me. I nod, immediately thinking about Benny. Great. I can't like him. But it's just so hard not to.

We finally get to the fair and decide to buy cotton candy first. So we walk around eating it. And talking.

"Marjie!" I hear someone yell. In front of us is Scotty and the rest of the sandlot boys.

"You guys are pretty brave to come back after what happened last night." I laugh. They all cringe thinking about it. I laugh a little to until I see Benny. Standing a little off to the side. He's wearing nice clothes again. A blue collared shirt, the same brown jacket and khakis.

"So," Ham says. "What're you guys up to?"

"Just walking around." I shrug. "By the way, this is Josie."

"Hey." They all wave.

"What'd you wanna do then?" Squints asks. We all shrug.

"Not the tilta whirl." I tease they all groan and roll their eyes.

After a while of walking around and riding a couple of rides everyone seems tired.

"Who wants to go on the Ferris wheel?" Benny asks looking at all of us.

"Nah." All the boys shake their head.

"I'll go." I say bravely, then instantly regret it. Why did I just volunteer to ride the Ferris wheel with Benny? "Do you want to come?" I ask Josie hopefully.

"It's okay." She smiles nodding over to Benny.

"Okay." I say then look at Benny. We go to the Ferris wheel line without saying anything. Once we get to the front Benny hands the vendor two tickets then we hop in. I try not to sit to close to Benny. Cause this is awkward.

"Doesn't it look so pretty here at night?" I ask Benny once we get to the top.

"Yeah, it does." He nods in agreement.

"I'm sorry for being rude to you lately." I tell him.

"You weren't being rude." He argues even though he knows I was.

"Yes I was, admit it." I say.

"I thought you were just moody." He shrugs.

"Oh." I nod. He really thought about that? "I'm really really sorry."

"It's fine, Marjie." He assures me.

"Okay." I nod, looking about out at the view. "What do you think of Josie?"

"What do you mean?" He asks confused.

"Like, do you think she's cute?" I ask. Why did I decide to ask him about this?

"Eh." He shrugs.

"What? Do you already have a girlfriend or something?" I tease. He smiles and faces me.

"What do you think?" He asks smiling big.

"No?" I guess.

"Yeah." He nods laughing.

"Well, Josie said that all the girls at school are obsessed with you." I tell him.

"Really?" He asks raising his eyebrow.

"Obviously." I say.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asks. Dang it! Why'd I say that?

"Nothing." I tell him quietly. I look out onto the whole fair, it really is the perfect place for a date. "Would you take a girl on a date here?" I ask him.

"Sure." He shrugs.

"It really is the perfect place for one." I nod thinking about what Josie told me.

"Yeah." He agrees. "You know, Marjie. I'm really glad you moved here." Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. I can't believe he just said that!!

"Me too." I tell him smiling.