22. Free.

MITCHEL

I woke up, and she's still in the bathroom. She's been in there since last night.
She didn't sleep next to me.
"Angeline?", I knock on the door and I hear the tap water running.
"Open the door", I say, looking at the knob waiting for it to turn.
"Go away", she says and I hear the rattling sound of a bottle full of pills.
"Angeline, please open the door now!", I turn the knob again and again.

The tap is turned off and I can hear her gulping the pill, God knows how many pills are going to follow that one.
"Angeline?", I bang on the door.
"Leave me alone", she whispers, sniffling.
"You leave me with no choice. Back off", I hit the door with my shoulder multiple times.
"What's going on?", Christain comes in, Clinton is behind him.
"I think she's commiting suicide at this right moment. She has the pills in there", I say as I keep trying to knock the door down.
Clinton grabs the back of my shirt and pushes me away from the door, then he kicks the door down with his foot.
Angeline screeches as she cries.
She dropped the bottle and the pills are everywhere.
"Are you out of your mind?", I yell running to her.
"Stay away from me!", she forms her body in a ball in the corner, shaking.
"Throw up", Christain points at the toilet.
"No!", she glares at him with her red eyes.
I grab her, pushing her in front of the toilet, ducking her head down.
"Leave me!", she elbows me and tries to free herself, I push my knee against her back then I shove two fingers down her throat and the pills came out of her mouth in a rush with the water.
"You can leave", I tilt my head to the side, signalling the boys to get out of here.
"Why did you do this?", she whispers, keeping her head down in the toilet.
"You can't commit suicide in my apartment", I took the pills, then I threw them in the toilet, flushing them down.
"That's the only reason?", she asks.
"I'm not a hopeless romantic bitch", I quote her, leaving the bathroom.
_______________________________________

ANGELINE

I sit with them in the living room.
Christain, Clinton, and Mitchel are all smoking and talking with each other.
Clinton and Mitchel's dad and mom are whispering stuff to each other in a serious way.
I'm always left out.
"Mitchel, give it to her", his mom says.
He stands up and goes into his room.
"What?", I ask, looking at her.
Mitchel comes back and hands me an envelope.
I slowly unsealed it as he sat next to me.
I look into it and I gasp.
"That's all we have to offer. It was a pleasure to meet you", his dad says.
I look at them all, confused.
"What's this for?", I whisper, looking at Mitchel in total amazement as tears came down my eyes in silence.
"These are two thousand dollars. You're off to go", he says, looking at the envelope.
I look at Christian, he nods and raises his eyebrows as a "Congratulations".
I look at Clinton, he sighs, lighting another cigarette.
I look at their mother, she shrugs.
I look at their father, he gives me the look that says "It's for the best".
I look back at Mitchel, he comes closer to my ear and says, "You're not allowed to sleep here".
I stand up weakly in front of him.
My knees are giving in to the gravity but I managed to stand still.
I look at him in absolute disappointment.
I smack the envelope in his face, and green papers are flying everywhere in the room.
"Fuck you and your money. I didn't ask for money or fame. All I wanted and all I ever asked for is your love, compassion and warmth. I wanted to be with you. I wanted you to be mine. I didn't want to be a one month stand. I didn't want to be abused.
I never asked you for anything.
You even flushed the pills that helped me to cope with everything you did to me. You look into my eyes just to see yourself. You abused me because you couldn't abuse yourself. You are way too precious in your own mind.
You will never be a human being with a beating heart. I fucking hate you!", I yell in his face, tears dropping on the floor.
The anger rushed in my veins and I couldn't hold my hand back.
I slappped him-- hard on the cheek, then I ran inside to get my phone.
"Get the fuck out of here!", his mom yelled.
"Leave!", his father yelled.
"Let me grab that bitch!", Mitchel yells as Christian and Clinton held him back.
I ran out of his room to look at him for the last time.
"If I was in your shoes, I would kill myself. I would rather die than be seen as a monster. I can't believe I had a piece of the devil in me", I say, shaking my head.
"Let me get her!", Mitchel pushes himself out of their arms, then I took off running as fast as I could.
Running to nowhere but I'm running for my life.
I'm running to reach for my life that's slipping away from me.
I run back to my house.
It's thirty minutes away from his apartment but I couldn't stop a taxi, I'm double its speed.
I kept running until I'm out of my own sight.
I feel like throwing up because of how fast and long I've been running,
tears following my unsteady breath.

I'm in the neighbourhood now and I've never felt this safe in my entire life.
Now that I look back at the vivid nightmare, I realized how stupid I was for not running away, and I realized how unsafe, miserable and exhausted I felt.
"Oh my god, Angeline!", my neighbour runs to me and hugs me in his arms.
He's always been like a father to me.
"Where have you been?", he asks, looking at me in horror as he saw how fucked up my face and body are.
"I don't know", I answer, shaking my head and my lips trembled.
"Let's go to my house", he holds my hand and leads me to his place.

He puts a cup of hot tea on the table and puts the blanket on me as I laid back on the couch.
"Thank you", I smile.
"You know I'm a therapist, right?", he asks sitting down in front of me.
"I do", I nod, looking up at the ceiling.
"So tell me what happened to you?", he asks.
I feel like opening up, I know it's hard for me to talk about it but I feel like pushing the weight off my chest.
"I think I've been kidnapped", I frown looking at the ceiling.
"What do you mean?", he leans forward in his seat.
"His name is Mitchel", I say.
I kept telling the story in a scattered way.
"Show me the cuts", he says.
"I'm way too insecure", I chuckle.
"I have to see them", he says.
I sit up on the couch, taking Mitchel's shirt off.
"Oh my god", he whispers, looking at my chest then at my wrists.
"I have more", I stand up, turning my back to him.
"He has mental issues that's for sure", he says.
"I have more on my legs and my private spots", I shiver.
"Why didn't you--".
"I couldn't slip away. I felt tied. He's capable. He even told me if I tried to run he would catch me. There was no way", I put the blanket back on me, laying on the couch.
"I understand", he nods.

He kept asking and I gave him all the answers.
He made me feel better.
I told him about everything.
"He got you pregnant?", he asks.
"Yes, but I think it wasn't his intention", I shake my head.
"No, darling it was. Ask me why", he stands up, handing me the cup of tea, I sit up and I take it asking him why.
"He thought by that you will stay with him forever because women are always protective of their children. So by that he wanted to hold you captive", he says.
"God, I'm so dumb", I smack my forehead.

After a few hours I started to doze off.
"Okay, enough for tonight we will continue tomorrow. The guest room is all yours. My boys are sleeping over at their friend's house. Make yourself at home and more", he says.
His wife passed away in the same year my dad did, and his boys are about my age.
We used to play together and we grew up in the same neighbourhood.
I used to have a crush on both of them but now I don't think I'm able to love myself to love another person.

Click on that vote babies♡