Chapter 1: Together...

My name is Unknown. Unknown is a weird name but its not going to be my name forever. That's just a temporary name. When my "mother" finally finds a name for me my name won't be Unknown. I live with a woman who I have labeled as my mother. Yes... We aren't blood related. To be frank, everyone in her house has no sort of blood relation to her. We are her peasants but to sugarcoat it she calls us her "children". The whereabouts of our real parents is unknown. Once we are born it is already decided that we don't get to live with our real parents. Nobody knows where are real parents are but there are rumors that they are dead.

Ah... You are probably confused about where we live. Well... We live in a planet near Earth called Estoria. The humans are forbidden from entering our planet and its existence has remained hidden from the public. Only a few humans know our secret but they are forbidden from exposing our presence. Or at least....The is what my "mother" told me. It's quite interesting. It sounds so surreal. Beings that exist in a different world... It's hard to believe. But you know what else is hard to believe? That I'm actually friends with someone! How did that happen? I have been having troubles sleeping ever since that fated day when we became friends. Seriously, what do friends do?

Chiyo slammed my door open. " Hi Unknownnnnnn! Guess what! Guess what!" Ugh... So loud... I crossed my arms. " What is it Chiyo? You seem awfully excited about something." Chiyo took out a book that she was hiding behind her back. " I got a new book! It's a fairytale book! Read it! Nobody can dislike fairytales!" She placed the book on my lap. The cover had three pigs on it... That story... Mother read that story to me.

" Hey! Unknown! Guess what! We're going to read a new story! It's fairytale story called the Three Little Pigs! This book came from the human world! You love fairytales right?"

" Yes mommy! Let's read it!"

    It was a flashback... Anger began to boil inside of me. I hate her. I hate her. I hate her so much. She never loved me. She's not even my real mom. She killed my parents. I was living a lie back then. My hand moved on its own and I threw the book at Chiyo.
" Get that garbage away from me! I hate books! All of them! They shouldn't even be a thing!" I looked down at the floor and continued. " Books... They all remind me of her! Especially those stupid fairytale books!"  Chiyo's expression became cloudy. " I-I'm sorry... I-I'll... I'll go... Bye Unknown." She took the book and slouched out my room. What have I done...? Every time I am reminded of "Mother" I always lose my temper. Now she's definitely not going to be my friend... I'm the worst...

     " Friends? HAH. I wonder how long that friendship will last! An hour? Maybe even a day if your lucky!"

     No... That's not true. It's going to last a long time! I have go go after her! I ran out of my room. Left. Right. Straight ahead . I don't care where I end up going! I will keep on running until I catch her! I ran for many minutes until I could grab her arm when were in a garden. I began panting. " Stop right.... there." My vision became blurry and I ended up collapsing on the hard concrete with a "Thud".

I was in a gray room. I saw Chiyo's back. Chiyo!!! I waved at her. " Hey Chiyo..." She didn't respond. Thats odd. How come she ignored me? I tried calling her name over and over again to make her turn back. When I stopped calling her she turned back to look at me. Her eyes were missing and she blood was seeping from her empty eyesockets. " Oh! Hello Unknown! Do you want to read the book now?" Fear filled my whole body and my body just moved without thinking. I was running away from Chiyo. I ran for a long time. I kept on running until Chiyo appeared right in front of me. " I got you." I jumped up from the bed. I looked around the room. Oh... It was a dream. But wait. Chiyo... Chiyo! I need to apologize to Chiyo!

" Stay still...You fainted just a while ago. You have to be careful Unknown. You know that you have a condition that prevents you from running. How could you forget? You could've died!"

Who said that? My vision was blurry. Mm.. It sounded like... Mother... My vision came back. A lady with long white hair and glistening red eyes was sitting beside me. It was mother. I jumped off the bed and ran to the door to escape. " G-Get away from me! I don't want to be with you!" Mother snapped her finger. Click! Two maids took me by my arms and tossed me back onto the bed. Mother's eyes were full of anger. " STAY IN THE FREAKING BED. Your body hasn't fully recovered my darling." Why was I born with this illness? Just who were my parents? Anyhow. I'm stuck in a room with the person I hate the most.

" You are such an eyesore! All you do is apologize! You sound like a freaking broken record!" I got kicked in the stomach. Ouch... What did I do wrong? I hugged my stomach. " I'm sorry... Please... Stop it... I won't do it again.... I won't bump into you. I've learnt my lesson. Let me leave..." The adult neko glared at me. " You can say that you've learnt your lesson but it's not the same as showing me with solid proof. And what if I don't want to leave you alone? You need to know where you stand. Just because Mother sticks up for you doesn't mean that your her favorite! Stop being so full of yourself!" The neko kept on hitting me. Mother saw me getting hit but she just looked away. She didn't help me. She promised that she'd help me. She lied to me.

Now she's here with me, talking to me as if I forgot what she did. I'm not naive. I have a brain. Unlike her. I can't believe that she has the audacity to even sit in the same room with me after betraying me. I was so angry that I thought that I was going to explode. I looked up at her, my red eyes twinkling with rage. " You betrayed me. I looked up to you and I loved you with every inch of my being yet... You left me to rot! You were just watching me suffer! You promised that you'd be there. You broke your promise! Why did my parents have to die? Why did you have to kill them? I would have been happier if I got to live with them. Being with you makes me want to stop breathing." Mother was silently listening to me ramble things that just went from one ear and out the other. She didn't say anything. She just looked down at her lap with a blank expression. Say something you witch. Go on, spout more lies.

Chiyo walked into the room." U-Um... Mother can I spend time with Unknown? Alone of course." Chiyo had a serious expression on her face for once. It must've taken Mother by surprise because she just got up and left. " Sure. It's not like Unknown wanted me to be here." Chiyo sat next to me. " Hey there. Um... Are you alright? I'm so sorry.... It's all my fault that— I shook my head. " No. I should be the one apologizing. It's my fault. If I had bottled up my anger then I wouldn't have hurt you. You never even knew that I hated books." Chiyo looked down. " We were both at fault. Don't carry all of this and blame it on yourself. Just know that you can talk to me. I'm not like everyone else. I'm here to help and protect you." I looked down at my hands. Why...? She must want something from me... What if... What if she betrays me like Mother? What if I reach to take her hand and she then disappears? I'm scared...

Chiyo hugged me. " I know... I know that you're scared of getting hurt. Having Mother hurt you liked that. It's awful. But... We aren't the same. I've been your friend for several months now. Have I betrayed you yet? I want to escape too. Mother took me away from my family too. I'm upset about that too. And... I never told you this but..." Her eyes turned dim as she continued. " I watched her kill my parents. I was powerless. All I could do at that moment was hear the screaming of my dear parents." My gray cat ears went up because of how surprised I was. No way. She can't be serious... I looked up at her. Tears were slipping down from her face. This is the first time I've seen Chiyo cry. And I hate it. I wiped the tears from her face. " Please... Don't cry.. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Let's escape... together." Chiyo smiled and nodded her head.