Twenty Six

The blistering heat of the day before has settled into a slight chill, December now grateful for the cover of his Haven sweatshirt wrapped tightly around him. The group had left the care of Marigold's cottage in the early morning, the sun still in hiding as they began their trek across the meadow. He has no idea of the weather nor season, the only indication that it may be summer hidden in the chirps of cicadas heard from the night before. December's never heard the sound for himself until now, the thick walls of Haven blocking out any reminders of the outside world.

As Wren and Ryder take the lead December hangs back, his body lingering next to a silent Abrahm as they slack behind the two other boys.

December's eyes fall onto Wren's back, the small pit in his stomach beginning to turn at the sight of him. Wren seems so normal, human almost as he walks next to Ryder, their strides in sync as their fingers play at the idea of intertwining. Wren's head falls onto Ryder's shoulder before his gaze turns December's way, plum eyes wary of his attention as he slides away from Ryder, arms crossing against himself in defense.

How can I sentence him to death? A man more human than myself. The love of my cousin's life, a man that I have confided in at my darkest hours?

You already have once...

The thought gnaws away at December, nearly burning him alive as he scratches away the sensation, red welps dragging along behind his nails etched deep into his flesh.

"You okay there?" Abrahm's hand falls onto December's shoulder, a smirk carving into his lips though his eyes are saturated with worry.

"We're just going to kill Wren?" December whispers, lips nearly trembling with the accusation.

Abrahm's hand slides off December's shoulder, his tongue drawing behind his teeth as he bites back his first thoughts. "That sounded like you're second guessing the plan." His words are slow and deliberate, a warning hidden deep within each one as a thick brow cocks in confusion. "Don't tell me he has you under his spell too. He's not even that attractive." He adds on as an afterthought, gaze shifting to Wren with disgust.

"I'm not second guessing anything. Just," A heavy sigh escapes December's tight pressed lips, shoulders deflating from the top of his neck as he does so. "Do you even have a plan? Or are you just going to ambush him and throw him in a closet?"

Just the thought has Abrahm chuckling, the smirk returning to his lips as he scans the small meadow, cautious of Wren's eyes as he points a finger towards his back.

"Tell me what you see."

December's eyes fall to the boys in front of them, Ryder walking with his head outstretched towards the sky marveling in the swirls of blue and white that tower above. There's nothing out of the ordinary about the action, Ryder's eyes soon falling towards the floor of the meadow, dark eyes scanning each flower that passes by in awe. Wren shoves his hand into his pockets beside him, his shoulders scrunched to the top of his neck before slowly releasing, a small hand greeting the nape of his neck and massaging the muscle.

December's gaze falls back to Abrahm, confusion clearly written on his features as Abrahm responds with a disappointed sigh.

"Do you even remember half the shit we pumped into him?"

Briefly, his mind attempts to scan over the past three months. Yet, between the blockers and horde of experimental drugs they pumped into his veins, it's difficult to name a medication without consulting his charts.

"No? What's your point?" December scoffs, a mix of irritated boredom and sickening anticipation brewing within him.

Abrahm smiles as he reads the surgeon's expression. "Last night I heard him tell Ryder he hasn't been able to sleep since he was freed. And now," he adds on, the excitement rising in his voice as he points his finger at Wren. "He's been rubbing at his neck all day."