Fiction

Hellhounds are a common monstrous creature in fantasy fiction and horror fiction, though they sometimes appear in other genres such as detective novels, or other uses.

In filmEdit

A Hellhound named Sammael is one of the main antagonists in the first Hellboy film.

Hellhounds appear in the motion picture The Omen.

Hellhounds appear in the movie Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief as pets of Persephone and Hades, differing from the books' portrayal of them.

A Hellhound named Thorn is the guardian of the vampire Max in The Lost Boys.

Hellhounds appear in the Don Bluth film All Dogs Go to Heaven. In a creepy nightmare sequence, Charlie is sent to the abyss of the Underworld and meets a Beast called the Hellhound and is humiliated by the Hellhound's demonic minions.

In gamesEdit

In Call of Duty: World at WarCall of Duty: Black OpsCall of Duty: Black Ops IICall of Duty: Black Ops III in zombies mode, fiery hellhounds appear. They first appear in the round 5, 6 or 7 and come back every 4 or 5 rounds.

In Lands of Lore III, rifthounds, a creature similar to the description of hellhounds, kill Copper's father and step-brothers in the introductory scene and seize Copper's soul.

In Heroes of Might and Magic III, the hell hound is a recruitable 3rd-level unit from the Inferno town that can be upgraded into a Cerberus.

Hellhound is also a creature of chaos in the game Master of Magic.

In Neverwinter Nights, the hellhound is available as a familiar for wizards and sorcerers.

In Eye of the Beholder, hellhounds appear on one of the deeper dungeon levels.

In the video game NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, one of the bosses for Will's dream is called Cerberus and is, as stated by Reala, a hellhound.

Houndour and Houndoom/Mega Houndoom, two of the Pokémon creatures, are based on the concept of a hellhound due to the Dark and Fire type combination.

In the MMORPG RuneScape, hellhounds are a type of demon, but are not tied to the underworld.

In the video game The Witcher the Hellhound is a boss monster.

Hellhounds are creatures that appear in The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

Hellhounds are minions of the Burning Legion in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Hellhounds called Skinned Hounds appear in The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles, a DLCfor The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Hellhounds called Death Hounds appear in Dawnguard, the first DLC for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

In War Commander (a real-time strategy game on Facebook), "Hellhounds" refers to a rogue computer-controlled faction.

In Dungeon Keeper, Hellhounds are a species of creature that can be attracted to your dungeon by means of the Scavenger Room. They are said to be useful guards and good at locating enemies. They are interpreted as having two heads and the ability to breathe fire.

In Dragon's Dogma, Fire-breathing hellhounds start to appear on land after you defeat the dragon.

In Ultima Online, Hellhounds are a type of hostile creature spawn that appear in a few dungeon areas.