바다 | 08

the ocean | p a r t e i g h t

"WELCOME TO
THE MAGIC SHOP"

IT WAS LIKE WAKING UP FROM A DREAM. He didn't understand the feeling entirely, but it was similar to that of having been awoken from a deep slumber, such so where every thing around him felt fuzzy and blurry and surreal.

He lifted his heavy eye-lids open, only to be blinded by the bright light surrounding him. Once his eyes began to adjust, however, rationality started kicking in, mostly over one thought—Although he knew he should be aching all over, he wasn't.

In fact, he felt great, as if he were floating on air.

Seokjin could feel the sand underneath him shift. His eyebrows pulled together in confusion as he got up off his back, into a sitting position, and took in his surroundings.

A beach?

He wondered how he had gotten to a beach so quickly in the first place, when it hit him. "This is probably a dream," he said aloud, "Just another dream." A light chuckle escaping him.

Unlike before, this felt like an actual dream. All around him was a field of gold sand, giving off a dream-like feeling, and ahead of him, the sparkling water of the ocean unlike any other that exists in reality.

A warm feeling settled inside him, the kind of feeling as if he were home. Safe. A small smile crept onto his lips as grabbed a handful of sand and felt it slowly fall back down from his hand. Even the sand felt soft, just like it would in a dream.

A feeling of serenity washed over him. Even though he knew he should be worried about his whereabouts, he didn't feel the need to at the moment.

What he really wanted to do, though, was get a closer look at the water.

Seokjin got up, brushing the sand off his plain white shirt and pants; an outfit he never owned before, but didn't care to question. He walked to the water, walking along the shore. The wet sand felt cold underneath his bare feat, and as he continued to walk, he looked back to see the footprints he had made.

He could see his reflection in the blue waters, instead of the brown hair he owned before or the pink hair from his past, this time it was pure black. It was as if all signs of his past was erased, and the burdens on his shoulders evaporated. His smile widened as he continued walking, feeling pure bliss.

Seokjin stopped, facing the ocean as he peered out, the warm sun washing over him.

"Am I in heaven?"

Many scenarios ran through his mind, none of them concerning him in the least. He felt at peace, even if temporary, and that was all that mattered to him in the moment.

He walked back to the sand and sat down. It was soft, almost as if he were sitting on a warm cloud, but he could feel the grains of sand on the palm of his hand.

Pulling his knees close to his chest and wrapping his hands around them, Seokjin peered out and just stared at the horizon. In the moment of tranquility, he closed his eyes as he listened to the soft sound of the tide pull and drift away in the distance. Though it was subtle, the sound of the water splashing against the shore filled his ears. And he wasn't alarmed when he heard the sound of the laughter of his friends all around him.

He kept his eyes closed and imagined his six friends running around, throwing sand at one another.

He could imagine Hoseok and Taehyung building a childish sand castle, only to have it stomped on by Jimin and Jungkook, or Jungkook and Taehyung splashing water at one another as Jimin tries to shove Jungkook in the water and fails, falling in himself.