Three

'Witch,' That's what Frigga called you. "Witch, witch, witch," you mutter to yourself. You find the section clearly labelled witch and run your hands through the books. If this is what Asgardians do for fun, they must be really bored. You pull out one book 'Guide to magical creatures'. You open the book but quickly toss it aside. It looks boring. One book catches your attention. 'Witches of the Stars,' it reads. It looks tattered and old; well read. You pick it up but are disappointed to find most the pages either torn out or illegible. The edges of the paper and burned and you stroke your fingers lightly against the scorched sides. Was this intentional? You can read odd words or sentences. 'During the time of darkness', 'Elves', 'They held great power'. You can build a picture of these witches. 

"Good afternoon ma'am. Can I help you?" a voice says. You jump, started. You spin around dropping the book. It's just the librarian. "Oh, no. I'm fine, thank you," you stammer. The librarian nods. Her gaze settles on the book you've just dropped. "Witches of the Stars? It's a waste reading that. You may as well be asking the God of Mischief about the law," the librarian jokes. There it is again, jokes about Loki. People really don't seem to like him around here. "Yes... If you please, what are Witches of the Stars?" you ask, "Nothing but a fairytale my dear. A story told to children at night," the Librarian dismisses. Everybody here is very good at doing everything but answer your question. "Where could I find a book on them?" you inquire, "The children's section might serve you better," she tells you. 

In desperate search of answers to satisfy your curiosity, you wander through the library in search of the Children's section. As you walk further into the room, you notice the layers of dust are thicker. The library seems almost unused, abandoned. Many of the books are falling apart, moth-eaten pages litter the floor. Your attention is caught by a small corridor. The dark corner of the library is magical. You find yourself captivated by the dusty area and before you realise it, you're walking towards the shelves. Your fingers run on the dusty and broke covers. Dust covers your fingertips, and the material scratches your skin. Then your hand brushes on something new. Soft leather. You look at the book. It seems so new. A black leather book, bound in silver. There's a small lock, but it's open. You open it, the smell of a new book is so sweet. The first page reads 'To whom finds this. Learn to use this magic, use it correctly. Never misuse our power or feel the full wrath of Queen Astra, however, learn our ways, tread carefully and you shall possess the power of the Stars'. Such a strange way to open a book. You flick to the next page. The words glow on the page. The words, they're foreign to you. A language you've never heard before "Bus in hac tum praetoria nave animam meam." you say, trying to sound out the words, "Sit corpus meum." 

A burning sensation starts in your chest. It slowly grows and works its way up your body, until your head feels like it's on fire and you can hardly concentrate. You can hear a buzz, your body feels like it's about to explode. You scream out, and you can hear footstep run in nearby halls. The floor rumbles, books fall. The light outside flickers. Eventually, your knees give way, and you lay there, waiting for it to end. Everything calms, and you close your eyes, relaxing, allowing the darkness to take you.

Your eyes open, you stand on a faraway planet. You can see stars in the sky. The ground is soft beneath you and you lay and rest. "My child, you cannot stay here," somebody tells you. You sit up and see this beautiful woman stood before you. She dresses in white and holds a staff. She glows in rainbows and smiles softly. "And who the hell are you?" you ask, frustrated you can't stay. "I am Embla, the goddess of goodness and light," she tells you. You roll your eyes, a do-gooder, just what you needed. "Why can't I stay?" you ask. Embla sits beside you. She lays down her staff and sighs. "You have a purpose, my child, beings of your kind don't exist for no reason. The universe needs you. If you can't handle a little magic, then we really have no hope," she tells you. A little magic? Is that what it was? "Where am I?" you ask, "Nowhere. You are between worlds. You're lost soul and before long Hel will come and find you or worse..." her voice trails away, "How did I get here?" you ask. Embla pauses for a moment to breathe. "I cannot tell you that," she replies, after some time. "Why can't you?" you ask. Rather than answer, Embla just stares at the stars. 

You lay back, getting the feeling you'll be here a while. "Do you know who your parents are?" Embla asks you, "Yeah, Isabelle and-", "No... your real parents," Embla cuts in. There's a pause. "My social worker said they were a Mexican couple, probably illegal immigrants," you reply. Embla shakes her head, she looks at you. "You're so much more than you see. A miracle if I say so myself," Embla tells you.  That doesn't even make sense, you were born and raised on earth, how could you be 'so much more'. Embla puts her hand on yours. Your veins glow golden. You pull your arm away. "What did you just do?" you exclaim, "I'm showing you who you really are," Embla replies.

The scene in front you flashes and is replaced by the face of another young lady. You look to your side, Embla has vanished. Black hair, a silver crown, red dress. She glares down at you, blood pouring from her eye. "And who are you?" you snap, getting tired of all these new people. This lady doesn't say a word, instead edging nearer, "Seriously, a bit of personal space," you snarl as you scoot backwards. "Return my book to me," the lady screams. Shit, she seems mad. How do you get home? Or back to Asgard? You look around you, Embla's staff is still laying on the ground. You grab it and start waving it the other lady. Light sores out the tip of it, forcing you to fly backwards.

Your ears ring. It takes you a moment to adjust back to reality. You're back in the library, you can see the staff tucked away under a bookcase. A face is just inches away from yours, long blonde hair, blue eyes and of course, that bloody hammer. Thor, exactly who you didn't want to wake up to. "Adelita, are you alright?" Thor asks you. You nod your head. "I'm fine," you mutter, the last thing you want is a fuss. Thor takes your hand, he helps you to stand up, when you look at your hand, you notice your veins, glowing red, and you quickly cover them. "Are you sure you're alright?" Thor repeats. You nod your head and do your best to smile. "See, fine," you sigh. 

Thor looks at you, suspiciously. "Come along then, unless you want to go hungry," Thor finally says. You nod, he's presumably going on about something like dinner. You follow him through the palace. It gets really confusing with all the halls. He shows you into this great hall. It's adorned with precious gems and beautiful paintings. There is a large table, covered with food. Beautiful people sit, with the King at the head. Thor guides you along, a hand on your back. You're sat next to him, facing Frigga. It feels a little awkward, everyone here is so powerful and you're just 'that girl from earth'.

"Let the feast begin," Odin announces. Everyone tucks in, food goes flying. You sit awkwardly as beasts of men throw meat onto their plates and smash goblets. "What's the feast for?" you ask Thor, "To celebrate my return and the continued success of the nine realms," Thor whispers, "Oh... okay," you agree. It probably would have helped if you'd read a book or two on Asgard while you were in the library. 

"How have you been finding Asgard?" Frigga asks you, "It's very lovely. You sure know how to decorate," you reply. Small talk is not your strong point. "Those clothes fit you well," Odin comments. You nod, taking some food off the table. " Thank you sir," you reply. You've concluded to talk to these people the way you talk to the police; politely to their face, rudely behind their back.

The woman's face flashes before your again. She stares at the book in your bag and screeches. "You're so much more than you see," you hear Embla's voice say. Your head begins to throb, there's too much going on at once. Thor rests a hand on your shoulder. "Are you alright Adelita?" Thor asks you. "I'm fine," you whisper. 

The burning sensation begins again, starting in your chest. You can see your veins glow bright red again. You try to cover as much of your skin as possible. You stare at your reflection in a goblet. You can see the red colour work its way up your neck. Eventually, your eyes turn red, and the burning stops. Instead, you feel removed like your body isn't yours anymore. You can't control your limbs anymore. It's like you're watching through somebody else's eyes. The pain numbs instantly. "Adelita? Are you okay?" you hear somebody say. The floor rumbles, things begin to crash. "Father, she's been cursed," somebody screams. You presume it was Thor. 

The floor turns to fire, Asgardians run from you. You see guards run after you. You fight the ability to control some of your movements. This must look really bad to everyone else. 

"Stand down!" Thor yells at you. You glare at him. Is he stupid or something? Of course, he is. "Don't you understand, I can't," you scream. Boys are so damn thick. You try your best to hold in the energy. There's a thud, and something hard hits against your side. You can feel your energy escape away and your body weakens. Wow, that hurt. Your ears ring and your vision blurs. Hands grip around your arms and you can feel yourself being pulled away. You start to struggle, but you can tell its fruitless. The burning sensation slowly goes away, leaving just pain. Black spots form in your vision and eventually, the world around you is overtaken by darkness.