~ Chapter 2 ~

"You know it has nothing to do with you, right?" Mary asked in a soft voice that caressed his ears; it was the tone she used when she was apologizing for something.

Lucas didn't answer. He was lying down with his gaze fixed on the wall; she sat on the edge of the bed and stroked his hair.

"It's... it's a grown-up thing. Your dad and I still love each other, and we love you too. It's just... it's complicated. Some people are not meant to be together."

"Then why did you get married?"

"Because we loved each other. We still do, but sometimes that's not enough to maintain a relationship. It's like a plant or a pet, you can love it very much, but if you don't take care of it, you risk losing it."

"That sounds stupid."

"Maybe it is, but that's how it works."

"I'm never going to marry," said the boy after a pause. Mary felt a twinge in her chest. "Oh, my baby, don't say that. You'll surely find a good woman you'll fall in love with, and raise a happy family together." "And then, she'll divorce me, and I'll be sad and alone." Mary let out a sigh. Although Lucas was a very smart boy, he was still too young to understand certain things. Besides, he was obviously hurt. Seeing his parents fighting all the time can be toxic to a growing child; in contrast, being divorced didn't sound so bad, if they could get along and share custody. She was sure it was the best route for everyone, yet she knew it would take a long time for him to understand, maybe years. "Sweetie, I know you feel bad now, but I promise it's not the end of the world. We can still be happy, all three of us. Things will be different from now on, but it's for the best." Lucas remained silent. Mary leaned over him a little to see him and noticed he had his eyes closed. He was obviously pretending to be asleep so they would stop the conversation. She knew him like the back of her hand. She finished tucking him in and kissed him on the forehead. "I love you, my prince," she said as she got up from the bed. Mary hesitated for a second, hoping to hear the "I love you too, my queen," he replied with every night. Only the silence answered. She crossed the room, put a hand on the knob, ready to close the door behind her, and her fingers instinctively went to the light switch. "Mom?" Mary jumped and turned. A hint of hope made her raise her jaw and listen to what he had to say. "Yes, darling?" "Remember not to turn off the light," Lucas said as he settled between the sheets. "Oh, right..." She jerked her hand away from the switch as if it was hot and gave a timid smile to her son. "Sweet dreams," said Mary. This time she did not wait for him to respond.