Author's Note

The mughal empire of India has always fascinated me. An era so colourful, flourishing, bright and strong, it has always intrigued me and I found myself obsessed with the same. This is the era that has given India the greatest monuments, ranging from tombs, palaces to bazaars and forts. A wide collection of the finest paintings and voluminous literature. Although I am a bibliophile and I've tried reading every genre from Paulo Coelho to William Shakespeare, Historical Fiction, particularly pertaining to the Mughal era has been in the top notches of my shelves.
While our textbooks and web pages brag mostly of the emperors of this vivacious dynasty, the women have always stayed behind the veil, unsung. History though boasts of some strong women figures like Nur Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal, the commoners of the era are left untouched.
This is my humble attempt to understand the life of one such commoner in the Mughal period. Although historically untrue, I have found myself connected to my protagonist and I have tried expressing her state of mind as realistically as possible. Life for women in Mughal zenana was not easy. It was far from that.

This is my first short story on wattpad. Please excuse any errors I might have committed unintentionally. Thank you, for choosing this book to read.

Happy reading!
-S