Chapter 19

"You collect trophies from all your victims?" Freya questioned as Nik sorted through them.

"Letters to their loved ones, to be specific," Elijah interjected.

"It was a phase," Nik spoke up.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth. You see, over time, Niklaus' enemies grew so numerous we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world. And then – well, I wouldn't exactly describe our presence in this city as discreet, wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?"

"We all saw the white oak destroyed. Plus, this city was crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes. Were I to die, they would die too, I couldn't have been safer." Nik was starting to panic, so I reached over, lacing my fingers with his. "And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me, like never before."

"It's only been a few days since the link was broken. Must you jump into crippling paranoia already?" I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"It's a default setting," Elijah chimed in.

"And with good reason," Nik defended.

"Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, we've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak."

"I would be mad to believe that."

"Perhaps you should see a therapist," I suggested.

***

"It was him. It was Gaspar Cortez," Nik announced.

"I assume this is someone from your box of letters," Freya commented.

"The youngest son of a particularly vile family of warlords I dealt with in the 17th century."

"Didn't they burn that Philistine pigsty to the ground?" Elijah asked.

"Pigsty? Belaga was my favorite artist's retreat. Someone had to pay for that so I murdered Gaspar's brute of a father."

"And?" I spoke up.

"And one or two –,"

"Five," Elijah corrected.

"Five of his bloodthirsty brothers."

"Don't forget the mistress."

"That was an accident."

"The point is, that Gaspar was but a footnote."

"Until he became a vampire hell-bent on hunting me. He's a cunning deviant, known to compel hordes of the helpless, to aid him with his tasks. You see, this is exactly what I was concerned about. Devils of all kinds crawling out of their crevices to strike at me. Speaking of which." Nik was gone in an instant. Elijah, Freya, and I followed soon after, going down to the courtyard. Nik was standing across from Kol. The real Kol.

"When I broke your sire link, it created a surge of power," Davina explained.

"You stole the nexus vorti," Freya declared.

"And brought your brother back from the dead."

"You should be thanking her, really," Kol spoke up. Nik took a few steps toward him and I felt Elijah tense next to me. Nik reached out, wrapping his younger brother in a hug. Elijah stepped closer as Nik pulled away, moving over to stand next to me. "Hello, Elijah."

"You haven't aged a day," Elijah joked.

"Ellie," Kol acknowledged, looking over at me.

"Kol," I nodded and his eyes moved over to Freya.

"And you?"

"Freya."

"Right. Long lost older sister. Speaking of twists and turns of our family tree, where might Rebekah be?"

"That's a long story. And one reserved for family. Davina can see herself out," Nik announced. Kol went to speak but Nik cut him off, "as per usual, our family faces a multitude of threats. The sooner you become acquainted with them, the better. I won't have you distracted –,"

"By Davina? You know, if you could only pull your head out of your –,"

Davina cut him off, "Kol, it's okay. I'll go." She turned to leave, but Kol stopped her, saying goodbye before turning back around to face the group.

Am I the only one who finds it funny it when Nik's family kind of gang up on him to tease him?

I can't believe it's already August! Where has this summer gone?! 

What are your guys' plan for the weekend? I am going to a baseball game tonight. It's Harry Potter night, so I've got my robes with me. And then I'm going camping for a week.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2018.